Is to do (something)

Be followed by a verb in the infinitive with to is used to express an action which will happen (in the future):
• Future actions which have been decided in advance:
Polly is to attend the conference in Bruno's place. Polly will attend the conference in Bruno's place.
The Prime Minister is to arrive today in Tokyo. The Prime Minister is scheduled to arrive in Tokyo today.
To whom is this letter to be sent? To whom should this letter be sent?
• Imposed actions and instructions:
Rooms are to be left before 11 AM. You must leave your room before 11 AM.
You are not to walk on the lawn. You must not walk on the lawn.
Note:
• In the passive voice (is to be done...), this expression can have a similar meaning to can or could:
How is this work to be finished in time? How can we complete this work before the deadline?
• Related expression: Be due to
The Prime Minister is to arrive today. = The Prime Minister is due to arrive today.

Still facing difficulties with 'Is to do (something)'? Improve your English with Gymglish's English lessons - try our online English course for free now and receive a free level assessment!

What our users say:

Pleasure

I enjoy doing my online English lessons. Only ten minutes daily are enough...Thank you!

Innovative

I love your innovative method which allows me to learn a new language and have fun at the same time!

Unique

Your method is unique! Your courses have helped me to progress and gain confidence during my travels.

Progress

Gymglish has allowed me to improve my English. A daily routine I wouldn't miss for anything in the world!

More testimonials.

Find out about other grammar rules. Improve your English further and test Gymglish, online English lessons.

Tips for learning 'Is to do (something)'? Share them with us!