English Vocabulary

All But

Is there someone who could confirm that "all but" is synonymous with nearly or coming close to, example Team Delavigne all but won (or won all but ?) the dodgeball tournament.Litteraly translate in French it means completely lost, doesn't it, like Bruno Delavigne is all but a funny guy.
Thanks

9 comments

• I won't confirm because I think that "all but" means "anything else but certainly not xxx". But let us see what the other readers tell about it ;)
  • You can flit, Mrs Butterfly, but I won't tolerate when you say : "Bruno Delavigne is all but a funny guy". How do you know? we don't even belong to the same world.
  • Hi Mrs Butterfly,

I can confirm that "all but" means "very nearly but not".

Best wishes,

Sam
  • From Bruno DeIavigne:
    You can flit, Mrs Butterfly, but I won't tolerate when you say : "Bruno Delavigne is all but a funny guy". How do you know? we don't even belong to the same world.

• Bruno Delavigne Esq.

I am sorry to this misunderstanding which will be, I hope, totally cleared up.
    I was just searching someone who has all except one thing, and it comes like an evidence.You, Sir, you are a model of perfection, all the qualities, you have them.Must I have to list them: intelligence, wisdom, kindness, beauty, sucess, totalselfcontrol, total sensecontrol, etc, etc.just a little lack of default.
    I am shure that you have not even a hole at your socks.
    Yours creators have you made so.
    They have even deprived you of the sense for the pleasure of whose you make business.
    But there is still certainly much to learn about you.
    Best regards
  • From Sammy B:
    Hi Mrs Butterfly,

I can confirm that "all but" means "very nearly but not".

Best wishes,

Sam

• Hi Sam
    Ok and thank for your precious help.
    Mrs Butterfly
  • Well, thank you Sam and Mrs butterfly... I'll remember and try to use it. Cheers
  • ...and by the way, Mrs Butterfly, I agree. I don't want to receive management lessons by people who pretend to be perfect :(

Please sign in to leave a comment.