English Idioms

to tight deadlines

I don't understand the signification of the expression: "to tight deadlines" and I don't find any translation in french.

1 comments

• Hello there. In this phrase there might be a confusion between the verb "to tighten" which means "reduire" ou resserrer" and the adjective "tight" which means "serre" or "etroit". Actually I believe you are looking for the meaning of the following expression : to tighten a deadline. I have found an example for you to understand in the press. It goes as follows : "<span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); color: rgb(17, 17, 17); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; ">The U.S. Office of Thrift Supervision (OTS) has withdrawn a proposal to move up by ten days the filing deadlines for quarterly financial reports."</span> This sentence begins a paper article intitled as follows : "OTS ends effort to tighten filing deadline" In French, it would say something like : "Le service OTS renonce à réduire le délai de dépôt de dossier".

Please sign in to leave a comment.