English Vocabulary

Last lesson

Hi there Though " ride " can't be used for a car , don't you say : Would you take me for " a ride " ? I'm all puzzled !... Thanks to anyone who might answer ..! Chris

11 comments

• My examples :
    1- This is my brand new car. Do you want me to give you a ride? And how about you to check it out?
    2- My commute is a two-hour car ride because of traffic jams at rush hours.

Hope that helps.
    JP.
  • to ride as transitive verb
    They ride a horse, I ride a motorcycle, the wizzard rides a broomstick. I haven't ever seen somone "riding a car" but people use to drive a car. They sometimes ride the highways by car.
    to ride as intransitive
    There were patches of black ice on the road and the car skidded by riding on it. I got puzzled as that car rides well over any surface.
    So I drive a car that rides well. To be checked.
  • When you ride a train, you must have your transportation ticket with you because you know the conductor will ask for it.
    To ride is not to drive. You ride the train as a passenger. You don't drive the train. The engineer is there for that.
    In the car the dog rides in the trunk and the kids on the backseat. For some safety reasons I never let the dog drive the car
    :-)
  • For a vehicle you sit in (not sit ON, like a motorcycle) there is indeed a strict distinction between 'to drive' (to be the driver, to be behind the steering wheel), and 'to ride' (to be on the passenger's seat). Speaking of it, I am remembering this scene in Jim Jarmusch' "Night On Earth" in the New York episode, when the cab driver says to Helmut: "I drive - you ride."
  • Riding
    on the City of New Orleans
    llinois Central, Monday morning rail Fifteen cars and fifteen restless
    riders
    Three conductors and twenty-five sacks of mail ...

Good morning America, how are you? Say don't you know me, I'm your native son
    I'm the train they call the City of New Orleans

Country music, a song by Johnny Cash
  • yes, Jean-Pierre, Johnny Cash, I remember, and Route 66 ? What about it ?
  • eBrain, what about what? ... The idiom, for sure.
    "Get your kicks on Route 66" is the entire title I guess.
    To get ones kicks = to have fun.

To get a kick out of... = to have pleasure with...
    Have you already gotten a kick out of visiting the US?

To kick it = to hang around, to go out and loiter with friends. (chiefly the young speak this way)
    Where are you going? Nowhere, just kicking it with my friends.

And now the last one :
    When a young speaks about kicks, (he/she) speaks about shoes, not only Kickers but may be Yums sneakers as well.

That's it. I'm done. Hope you kicked my lingo! JP.
  • Yes I did (somebody in the car was playing a Jonnhy Cash's CD)! but I did not know it was the way to tell or sing it...thank you, JP, for the idiom, "It winds from Chicago to LA, .... ...When you make that California trip, Get your kicks on Route Sixty Six"
  • ...and of course, Nat King Cole Route 66 YouTube...

Please sign in to leave a comment.