English Vocabulary

Redneck

Is it a peasant ? or could it be also sombody else (i heard that word in a song "no milk to day ) Thanks for answering

5 comments

• Hi Gwendy ! Here is a definition from the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary :

An uneducated working-class white person in the southern US, esp. one holding reactionary political views; gen. anyone holding reactionary political views. N. Amer. Freq. derog.

• The Webster's New World Dictionary reads :
    (from the characteristic sunburned neck acquired in the fields by farm laborers.)
    (SLANG) : a poor, white, rural Southerner, often, specificly, one regarded as ignorant, bigoted, violent, etc.: often a derogatory term.

And the Merriam-Webster :
    1- sometimes disparaging : a white member of the Southern rural laboring class
    2- often disparaging : a person whose behavior and opinions are similar to those attributed to rednecks.

Both dictionaries are American but the two are different. One reads it's slang while the other doesn't. Anyway, it sounds it's not to be pronounced everywhere with anybody.
  • Thanks, il will be cautious, anyway, i don't think i'll have the chance of meeting one of them.
  • A famous redneck is Cletus Spuckler a character in the simpsons :)
  • Inthe Simpsons ????

Please sign in to leave a comment.