Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

Haïkus

Who wants to play making haïkus with me ? Those short poems of three verses, the middle one is generaly longer than the two others, (I've sometimes read that the first must be of 5 feet, the second of 7, and the third of 5, but let's not be too rigid...) And please be indulgent, I've hardly made half a dozen in French, and this is my first in English, suggestions for improvement would be a plus !

bright and cold blue sky
greens and yellows of a child's drawing
spring is all around

Whose turn ?

45 comments - page 5

• Here I'll just use a brand new -as far as I'm concerned- idiom featured by gymglish : Let's not be sensationalist.
    But this is done, we can switch gears and give a theme for the next haiku, what will it be?
    I can feel a mob of gg fellow learners eager  to join in ;-)
  • Here I counted on AhQ the poet, he even said it was an easy-peasy challenge, but he let us stalled with no haiku including  immensity.
    What a stalemate. I had to give it a shot again. I eventually came up with this, I'll leave it to your comments.
    In each man's heart
    A drop of immensity
    Floodlights the world
  • Maybee not a haïku indeed, I'd say that rhymes aren't expected in haïkus?
    But, I take your tribute with pleasure, and a pinch of doubt too.
    Thank U, AhKU, for your no haiku,
    Love.
  • That's groovy.
    A drop of immensity (how nice that's said!) in human heart that gets a return ticket in light.
    That's the quid pro quo of the imense universe and one of the tiny particles which makes it.
    That's a haiku of a genius.
  • This month's funky Friday drew me towards this forum, a forum that was crowded in the past, and that nowadays is a rather a silent place full of dumb Gymglish fellow-learners. I bumped into one of them who waved at me to go to the Haikus thread. What I did. I got flabbergasted. Not only had I written a no-haiku in a Haïku thread but I had mistaken haïkus for limericks with adorning it with rhymes. What a blunder !
    My second self told me that it was a big blunder as we know that Pimpanella had given the rules of haïkus as she launched the thread on May 12, 2013.
    I agreed with my second self  but I couldn't help thinking that writing a haïku without being concerned with rhymes, that was easy-peasy.
    My second self murmured to my ear: "Don't forget Pimpa means one about immensity. Could you ever raise an immense building with only 17 bricks ?"
    Yes, I thought to myself, Pimpa is always right. I leave the floor to Gymglishers more talented to build great things with next to nothing.
  • Space immensity is meant to once shrink into a black hole. Pimpabella's generosity at helping  and prompting everyone to write a haiku, a generosity that makes her greatness, that should never shrink.

Greatness is her lot.
    Pimpanella has it got:
    She prompts you a lot.

Haiku?  No haiku, only so-called a haiku. Adhering strictly to the count of syllables and rhyme, inverting words to make poetic doesn't make a haiku. Can voice inflexions and shades of meaning that are the gist of a haiku be transposed in a foreign language? I don't know.
    Be that as it may, what the three lines in English say is true, tremendously true.
    Haiku to you.
    AhQ

Please sign in to leave a comment.