English Grammar

EITHER, NEITHER

Either is a mistake or I don"t understand the difference between either and neither

I think there is a mistake in the grammar lesson I receive today :

--
Let's review:

EITHER, NEITHER
Différents emplois de either et neither :

Either et neither peuvent être traduits par 'non plus'. <b>Either</b> est employé dans des constructions <b>négatives</b>, alors que <b>neither</b> s'utilise dans des constructions <b>affirmatives</b>.
--

2 comments

• EITHER this forum OR another English speaking place is good to improve one's English. (soit.. soit..) /// I was looking at two paintings and the seller told me I could buy either of them. (l'un ou l'autre) Was I to buy or not? In either way I could make it. (dans chaque cas) ///There are doors at either side of the car. (de chaque côté) ///At school this morning could you meet neither a teacher or students. = At school this morning couldn't you meet either a teacher or students. (ni... ni...) ///John didn't cry. I didn't either. = Neither did I. (non plus) ///I hope this is correct even though incomplete. See you, Sebastien.
  • It's helpful to consider "neither" as the negative, the negated form of "either". It is used, amongst other uses (like in neither - nor), to express a negation in the meaning of "not, too" or "not, as well".

An example would be:

"I have to admit, Mrs. Jones. We don't fast during Lent." "Don't worry, Mr. Smith . We neither."

where "neither" can be considered as a contracted form "We do not, either", synonymous with "We do not, too".

"Either", on the other hand, is the positive form, in the sense of "as well":

"I don't like carbon dioxide". And I don't like diethyl either".

(OK, that's a pun) synonymously with "I don't like diethyl, too".

Please sign in to leave a comment.