English Grammar

Japan

A question about tense, in an exercice I was asked several times : It's about going to Japan, if you have ever been there, if you would have gone, etc, you must find the right tense. And here comes the one : "by the time you recieve my letter, I (to go) to Japan. Sometimes I answered "I will have gone" which is the right answer for gg, but I always hesitate and sometimes I wrote "I will be gone". I would like to know if the latter is correct. For me it is, but the correction doesn't explain my answer, it just says that we need the future perfect tense, which is made with the auxiliary 'will have' + past participle. Ok. but I'm quite sure that "I will be gone" is a correct sentence, maybe it is inadequate here, maybe the sense is different ? Like : je serai allé au Japon / je serai parti pour le Japon ? Someone has a clue ? And, by the way, I have never been to Japan ;)

3 comments

• Pimpanella said

A question about tense, in an exercice I was asked several times : It's about going to Japan, if you have ever been there, if you would have gone, etc, you must find the right tense. And here comes the one : "by the time you recieve my letter, I (to go) to Japan. Sometimes I answered "I will have gone" which is the right answer for gg, but I always hesitate and sometimes I wrote "I will be gone". I would like to know if the latter is correct. For me it is, but the correction doesn't explain my answer, it just says that we need the future perfect tense, which is made with the auxiliary 'will have' + past participle. Ok. but I'm quite sure that "I will be gone" is a correct sentence, maybe it is inadequate here, maybe the sense is different ? Like : je serai allé au Japon / je serai parti pour le Japon ? Someone has a clue ? And, by the way, I have never been to Japan ;)

Hello, In english we can't write I will be gone (this is not any tense) We can use the form "I will be going to Japan next year in August" This tense is the future simple continuous: an action in progress in the future in a specific time. The future perfect simple is used when an action will have done before another. I will have gone to Japan before August
  • Thanks a lot Syklos, I'll try to remember that. I hope that when I'll have done this exercice some more times, I will have forgotten about "will be gone" definitely !
    But... shouldn't you write, in your last sentence, " when an action will BE done before another." ? Or, maybe, "will have been done" ?
    Nice day to you !
  • And by the way, Syklos, I just took a look on your profile, and I read your are from Greece ! Your nickname should have rung a bell... So nice to meet you here ! I'm found of Greece, it's such a nice country with so nice people. I've been in Greece at different ages, the last time in april this year, and I started to learn Greek for a few months.
    I would be delighted to hear from again...

Please sign in to leave a comment.