Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

any and much

Hello, I had this sentence in my grammar correction : <p style="margin-bottom: 0.5cm;">"Because 'doesn't' already carries the negation of this sentence, we use the affirmative term 'any' to express that Polly has 'no friends'"<p style="margin-bottom: 0.5cm;">But how would you say "elle n'a pas beaucoup d'amis", instead "elle n'a pas d'amis du tout"? Won't you use "much friend"? <p style="margin-bottom: 0.5cm;">Thanks

2 comments

• Aurore B. like Boréal, 'je rêve d'en voir une fois dans ma vie', I am wondering how to translate this formulation, the French 'en' is often difficult to translate. English grammar is not as easy as one says.At your question, I would say 'she has not many friends', friends being a countable term (excepted on facebook where the quantifiable unit is rather ill-defined) and 'many' having no relationship with 'any' despite the rhyme. CU
  • A dream of mine would be to see an aurora boreal once in my lifetime. Seeing an aurora boreal once in my life is a dream of mine. I don't know if it's grammatically correct but the words are in. For the grammar matter I am not skilled at all.

Please sign in to leave a comment.