English Idioms

Bring out the gimp

Bonjour,
Comment traduire cette expression ?
Elle fait partie d'une correction de ma dernière leçon.

merci et bonne journée.

6 comments

• I for one can't remember getting that expression in my lessons. So, I shift to my favourite dictionary on line that's answers.com. It seems that the word 'gimp' can have several meanings according to the context. As the context is unknown to me, I'm reduced to choose one meaning among a lot of others. Say:
    let's 'to bring out' mean 'to bring out of a specific state'
    and let's 'the gimp' be 'the limp'
    the translation could be "Cesse de boîter" or metaphorically "Arrête ton char" for "Stop swaying your hips."
    But it's likely to mean a lot of others things as for instance "Sors ta démarche" if to bring out is for "to make visible".
  • merci
  • If you must know, my mam (I don't say "my man" in case you were a gal), I can't help giving my opinion about anything and everything, even about what I have no inkling of.  I've just found out on the web that the expression is the name of a crazy group that will be on in the Sportpaleis of Antwerp on Nov. 22, 2014. So, the expression is likely to have nothing to do with my former say. I  think that it would rather mean "Fais l'idiot!".
  • from the urbandictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/)
    a gimp is :

1) a derrogatory term for someone that is disabled or has a medicial problem that results in physical impairment.

(2) An insult implying that someone is incompetent, stupid, etc.
    Can also be used to imply that the person is uncool or can't/won't do
    what everyone else is doing.

(3) A sex slave or submissive, usually male, as popularlized by the movie Pulp Fiction.

Look at that gimp in the wheelchair

Dude, quit being a gimp and take a hit!
  • from the urbandictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/)
    a gimp is :

1) a derrogatory term for someone that is disabled or has a medicial problem that results in physical impairment.

(2) An insult implying that someone is incompetent, stupid, etc.
    Can also be used to imply that the person is uncool or can't/won't do
    what everyone else is doing.

(3) A sex slave or submissive, usually male, as popularlized by the movie Pulp Fiction.

Look at that gimp in the wheelchair

Dude, quit being a gimp and take a hit!

• Of course 'gimp'  is a nearly four letters  word which means 'lame person'
    But it has still more serious meanings around textile/apparel vocabulary (in French : ganse, passement,lézarde, guimpe)
    Perhaps those meanings may make sense at your sentence?
    Nice day

Please sign in to leave a comment.