English Grammar

Why?

Why "These days" cannot be followed by  a verb in the continuous present  pcrfect tense?
When I say"Ces jours-ci  le temps est mauvais" the action is still occuring!
Isn't it the same thing in English?
Damn  that present perfect tense!
Thank you for answering

2 comments

• Hya Anper,
    Your question is not a bad scheme.

I think the present PERFECT continuous refers to an activity in progress until the moment of speaking, or that has just finished.
    I have been exercising all the morning long, now I feel fit.
    But 'these days' refers to a large period of time that's presently running. I can't see how a perfect tense could suit to a present action or state.

About continuous:
    It seems to me that the present simple is most often used with the adverb 'these days' because the verb means an action usually performed or a usual state.
    These days most people read the news on the web.
    These days times are tough.
    These days weather is wretched.
    In my village people don't go to mass these days.

Though the present continuous suits in some cases 
    for instance to insist on the permanence of frequency of the action meant by the verb:
    With the price of kerosene lowering, airlines save a bundle these days.
    (emphasizing:).... airlines are saving a bundle these days.
    I had a lot of health problems the last two years, but I feel better these days.
    (emphasizing:)  ..... but I am feeling better these days.
    and also
    Terrorism is thriving these days. (I wouldn't use the present simple, but I don't know why).
    These days many people work/are working part time.

A whole lot of remarks could be made by a grammarian that I'm not. What's your mind,  Anper?

• Thank you for this very good answer. I apologize for answering late but I've not been often looking at the forum 
    What's my mind?I can't get a fix on it
    But to not be to serious, I think that the English grammar ( last issue by Sax Rohmer) was not written for easing relationships  between Anglophone people but for pushing the French influence (Guillaume...) out of England. Therefore it has become a kind of upside-downed French grammar but not exactly. So if you have in your mind just a bit of French you can't find the good translation and the digital translator (the  Robot) wins
    But however gifted it/he may be ,perhaps that horrible machine wouldn't always  get a good score in front of  a grammarian ( of course from the South of England)
    Nice day

Please sign in to leave a comment.