Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

Hi!!

I'm Olivia and i'm a ivorian. I search friends in Gymglish to discuss, to talk about everything and nothing, and also to play!
I'm 15 years old, and I live in Côte d'Ivoire with my mother, because my father lives in Senegal with his wife and my brothers and sister. I must know english because soon I will work in an international organism(this is my dream). So, if you want me become your friend, join me! (ps: if my texte contains mistakes, mention it please!)

143 comments

• From easyenglish:
    I'm Olivia and i'm a young ivorian girl. I search friends in Gymglish to discuss, to talk about everything and nothing, and also to play!
    I'm 15 years old, and I live in Côte d'Ivoire with my mother, because my father lives in Senegal with his wife and my brothers and sister. I must know english because soon I will work in an international organism(this is my dream). So, if you want me become your friend, join me! (ps: if my texte contains mistakes, mention it please!)

• Hi Olivia!
    My name is Gee. I'm a European man, too old to play with a young girl of 15.
    However I want to meet your post-scriptum about mistakes.

1. Ivorian : I think that word isn't used in English. You'd better say "I'm a young girl (native) of Ivory Coast". As for me, I take your 'Côte d'Ivoire' in French with pleasure because it's a nice French speaking country.

2. to search in the meaning of 'looking for s.o. or sthg' is intransitive. You search for friends. One could also search after one's keys.

3. English with a capital letter. Names and also adjectives of nationalities and langages must begin with a capital letter.

4. Organism : that word suits for a biological structure or some other ones, but it doesn't fit here. You'd better say 'International organisation'.

5. text : written without an e at the end.

6. 'I will work' for an international organisation. This future makes me assume that you've been appointed yet and that your job will start soon or that you are about to be appointed. If it were just a dream, you should tell it otherwise. I'd like to.. I hope to... I want to...

Friendly yours.
  • Hi Gee,Olivia,
    I am a Malagasy girl (Madagascar)
    Gee< are you an English teacher? you are so amazing in the way to explain details for each sentences.Great!! I begin for Gymglish lesson for few days and I see it very interesting.my problem is for the speaking and writting, and I think as Olivia that writting via email is a best way to improve this language.
  • Hi Miss Mi!

Nice to hear you're a Malagasy girl.
    I've some friends in Northern France and Belgium who are from Madagascar, who have been living there and/or have relatives there over. But until now I've never gone myself.

Well silly little girl, just think that if I'm a GymGlish user, sure I'm a student, not a teacher. But I've been regularly attending the daily GG lessons since February 2006. Mind you! There are probably some mistakes in my writings. As you do, I write on this forum as a way to practise English.

Nevertheless let me correct a bit your note, no offense intended.
    Say: "I started the GymGlish lessons a few days ago." or "I began the GG lessons a few days ago"
    'writing' with only one t.

Best.
  • Hi Gee,
    thanks for your correction. you are a good student as I see. you know, I've learnt English language during one year but unfortunately, I have always some difficulties to settle this language very well as good as I speak French , I'll try with GG lesson and hope that it'll be successful for me.I think it's a good oppportunity for me if you can give me your personnal email and I write you in order to me to practice English if you are interested.
  • Hi Minha Mi,
    A friend of mine who is fluently speaking English but yet taking the GG lessons pointed out some mistakes that soiled my last message to you. I think I must forward her corrections.

1. I have some relatives who live over there.
    OVER THERE and not there over.

2. In French, we say: je suis allé à Madagascar OR j’ai été à M.
    In English, there is a difference between “He has gone to Madagascar” = he is still there and “He has been to Madagascar twice this year” = he has gone AND come back. Hence the question: have you ever BEEN to Canada? And I‘ve never BEEN to Wisconsin (!!!)

For further chat you might use the forum or by e-mail at pcld@skynet.be or free voice phone on skype at paulcld.
  • Hi Gee,
    How are you? I was on Holiday during 3 days and I have also a problem with my computer yesterday so I couldn't connect on the internet.
    Oh yes Madagascar is a beautiful country, if you 'll have intention to visit our country, just tell me in advance, really it will be a pleasure. it's great to hear from you in other side that you have a Malagasy friend too . where do you live exactly?
  • To Minha Mi
    * Three days in a row being on holiday is a boon, isn't it?
    But you couldn't spend that time with the GG , just because you couldn't connect TO the internet.
    * Heading for Madagascar is not scheduled in my agenda. Be it as it may, if I came, I'd tell you.
    * Where I live? In a small country named Belgium, located about N50° E003° to 005°. It borders France, Germany and The Netherlands. Its capital city Brussels gets a bit more known because European Institutions are settled there.
    * May I be so bold as to ask something about your name, Minha Mi. If not a nickname or pseudo, which are your first name and surname?
    * To feed our chat this is food for thought: This evening I met with a Welsh couple. As they were talking about a man, they said he was about 6 foot tall. As I had yet noticed that Irish also use that plural "foot" in rating the height of a person, I requested more. I learned that speaking about a living person they say 'he is 6 foot tall', 'she is 5 foot', ... but about someone who passed away, they say "feet". Example: This man is 6 foot tall and his brother who died yesterday was 6 feet too. The most likely explanation is that after the death the brother lies 6 feet under. When you pass on, the foot of your height turn into the feet of your lenght.
    * Don't worry. Be happy.
  • Waouh!rich vocabulary!! you're very lucky Gee! you know, I must check the word one by one to understand what you wanna say(c'est rigolo tu sais!!!)
    Minha Mi is just my pseudo, but you can call me Minha.what does it mean N50° E003°...
    I really understand what you say by foot, but how long is 1 foot in french?(meter I mean!)

Please sign in to leave a comment.