Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

Hi!!

I'm Olivia and i'm a ivorian. I search friends in Gymglish to discuss, to talk about everything and nothing, and also to play!
I'm 15 years old, and I live in Côte d'Ivoire with my mother, because my father lives in Senegal with his wife and my brothers and sister. I must know english because soon I will work in an international organism(this is my dream). So, if you want me become your friend, join me! (ps: if my texte contains mistakes, mention it please!)

143 comments - page 10

• From Zina:
    Hi friends !
    Another very interesting paper for people interested in science ! I read in september "Science and Life" magazine that the dream of invisibility become real ! Some physics have built "metamaterials" that light avoid. So those metamaterials are invisible ! What a wonderfull world !

The zine you pointed out, Zina, will allow me to improve my knowledge about the universe. Thanks a lot.
    Reality catches up with the fiction.
    Moreover, people who believe in God will soon be able to rebuild his statues with those new metamaterials which will give his portraits a good likeness to what he has been said to be like.
    Fiction comes into the real.
    Amazing, Zina!
  • hello Gee and everybody...about Japan first, people said me before my travel "you can speak English there and everything will probably be written in japanese and in english"...
    It was in 1992, and it was completely false, just japanese language everywhere, even on road signs!
    So I began to learn some words and signs in Japanese before I went !
    And we rent a car there in the North called Hokkaïdo. I forgot to say that they drive on the left: I am French so I use to drive on the right! So, try to imagine: one for us driving the car and the other reading the map and trying to describe the road signs. Something like "the way is this one with a line up, a kind of little man, a kind of umbrella..."and so on !
    To understand better, first find some japanese text!!!
    My husband was there two months before me, for his job (to learn Japanese how to make cheese "camembert")and once he was proud to show me how he recognized japanese text: in a restaurant, we had to choose without picture (usually there, you always see the picture of each meal), he said "I know this one,it is potatoes" and the waiter gave him just a glass of lemonade !!!
    Japanese eat many uncooked fishes, rice and asiatic meal.
    We went from Tokyo to Kyoto by the "shinkansen" (very rapid train); inside you can turn your seat as you want; you don't see any country between those two enormous towns (there is about four hundred kilometers)
    Something was very kind there: Japanese people was always allright to help us and we were never
    never anxious with robbery.
    Other thing is "the bath" : it is not to wash yourself , you have to take a shower first, and the tub, a large one for two personns (often), is traditionaly in wood with a cap to keep the water warm between two persons.
    In a country where you cann't even recognize some words you see, you have to be very humble and you try to understand things in other ways.
    I use also this thing when I try to understand people who cann't speak: it's very often in my job !
    I could say you many other memories about Japan, it was often amusing because we hadn't understood something ; but now I am tired for this day !
  • Great! forestine79's report is worth reading in all respects.

Firstly it's a well-documented account on the way of living in Japan for those who, like me, haven't ever been over there. For my part I'd heard of the shinkansen train but never about the bathtubs for two. Come to think of it, I'd like to give it a try at any time soon. I'll book the room coming with a double bath and the geisha. No matter if the cap gets down as long as we'll be both underneath in hot watery mood.

Secondly it was for me an appealing reading, the sort of exercise I need to improve my English. Good writing, forestin79! (just don't "say me" ... but "tell me".)

Thirdly it's comforting to know that a great soul like yours, travelling around the world, is able to behave humbly in occupational therapy of handicapped people.

Looking forward to reading what came next.
  • hello,
    here the next about a travel to Japan....first, Gee, I just want to precise that the cap of the tub is never above your head.... you put it down when you come in the quite burning bath and put it back on when you go out!
    Something else surprised us: in the evening, even at supper time you meet groups of men, sometimes groups of women but quite never groups of both of them !
    We wanted to visit without guide so we often went "the nose in the wind" (tell me the good expression please !) So, once wearrive to a place with boats (but not a port),and we wanted to take a kind of boat for tourists (with ranges of seats) for a little visit aroud this big lake that seemed beautiful...but you just understand this boat will come back, you go on and the visit is very longger than you imagined...this boat stops in several places.....and you come back late (luckily nobody waited for us)...it was a very splendid visit with frog first (early in the morning) then mist then sun(in the afternoon)!
    In Hokkaïdo we saw also how they (often women) harvest long seaweed and put them on the beach to dry.
    I forgot to explain they don't go for a swim in the sea because it's too cold, the sand is grey, because volcanic . That's always in Hokkaido (the great isle of the north). But they like to seat in natural warm sources in some lakes....
    That's all for today....by, by !
  • No matter the cap is up or down as long as I have the geisha. I'm burning for adventure yet, but need I to come with an extinguisher to put out the fire of the burning wooden bath?

I'm astonished that men and women gather seperately in Japan. That's quite common in the Middle East and Africa, but I didn't think they'd go that way in Japan.

About putting your nose in the wind, the idiomatic expression is "to put one's nose in the air". But you might be personal by saying that you wanted to put your nose up the wind, or up wind (like an aircraft on initial climb after take-off). That helps us imagining you walking along up the wind with your hair fiercely flowing in a gust.

Wish you fair wind for the next episode. Bye!
  • hi Gee,
    For the bath, in the japanese hostel, you have hours for men and hours for women; if you come like a couple (like we did) they reserve the bathroom for you after men time and women time ! The water is hoter than 40 degrees: when you come out you are very red !
    I am sorry for you but we just saw two geishas walking in the road . My husband saw some also when he was invited in a restaurant for his job: there was one geisha for every guest (only men !!!) and they talk with them and serve them japanese beer (very good for those who like beer)or played music and so on!!
    I think men and women gather separatly because men goes with their colleague very late in the night after working and before coming back home .
    I like your imagination and I would be happy to walk along up the wind with my hair flowing in a gust : but......my hair is quite very short!
  • Hi forestine79.
    As the temperature of water gets hotter than 40°C, I quite understand that you come off the bath as red as a lobster. But what's most amazing to a guy of the sedentariest kind as I am, that's the bathrooms for men, or women. It makes me think that it could sort of be a Japanese institution resembling a sauna as long as it's a wooden room with a men/women timetable. Even if saunas in northern countries are often mixed. But sure thing, the Japanese bathroom won't spread abroad like the Finnish sauna did as it doesn't provide the same health benefits.

About the substancial privileges your husband has been granted, we're all sure it made you a bit jealous. It goes without saying. Nothing wrong with that.
    A crew cut suits the best a young driving occupational therapist. By the bye, weren't you born in 1979 ?

I wouldn't like, forestine79, that my questions and remarks prevent you from going on with your reports. They are useful for the readers. Looking forward to reading more.
  • Hi Gee, be sure I was not jealous and I wasn't born in 1979 just more thantwenty years before: I seems younger than I am, I know but more than 20 years it's a long time !
    I take your remarks a little bit like a kind of game (like when I write in this forum!), I try to say what marked me there, in English of course!
    Read you later !
  • Greetings forestine79,
    I'm quite ashamed now. I didn't want you to tell your age, even if you're still in the twenties. I was just as bit puzzled by your 79, I was wondering if it was a Department number or a magic figure.
    Of course we are both trying to get the life on its bright side.
    But I for one think that your tale is useful to more than one GGuser because the topic is interesting and your English writing is not all that bad. So, forestine79, go on with Japan or Thailand, or italy, or UK....
    Heartily yours,
    Gee
  • Zina! Zina-a-a! How do you read?

Please sign in to leave a comment.