English Grammar

l'utilisation des prépositions on, down, in, out, up.

je voudrais savoir s'il y a des règles précises sur l'utilisation des prépositions de la langue anglaise que sont: on, down, in, out, up.
j'ai l'impression que leur utilisation est liée au mot auxquels ils se rapportent, c'est à dire que suivant les mots auxquels ils se rapportent ils peuvent induire une chose et son contraire. pouvez vous me donner des règles grammaticales pour l'utilisation plus correcte de ces prépositions.

4 comments

• Bien sûr qu'il y a des règles, et même si lorsque les Français gagnent "haut la main", nos amis Anglais gagnent "hands down", on peut arriver à comprendre leur usage de ces petits mots.
    Deux remarques - 1/ces petits mots ne sont pas que des prépositions, ils peuvent être des adverbes, des adjectifs..d'où des nuances possibles dans la traduction-2/lorsqu'ils sont accolés à un verbe de façon inséparable (to get on par exemple) ils forment un nouveau mot dont le sens n'a souvent rien avoir avec celui du verbe ou de la particule ,là également  le doute peut s'installer quand au sens de la particule
    Maintenant pour trouver et apprendre les règles rien ne vaut dans un premier temps le workbook
    dont les indications sur le sujet sont précises et assez complètes.
    Bon courage!
  • Hi Aminou,
    You can download an interesting book about phrasal verbs following the link below
    <a href="https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CA6EFD021A8EA50B!60080&authkey=!AIkR-Jhhc7NIj48&ithint=file%2cpdf">https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CA6EFD021A8EA50B!60080&authkey=!AIkR-Jhhc7NIj48&ithint=file%2cpdf</a>
    If it doesn't work, give me your email and I'll send you the file (pdf format).
    Sincerely
  • To anper
    I take to heart to thank you for providing Aminou with the distinction between prepositions and adverbs and also with the existence of phrasal verbs.
    I also thank you for teaching me that English say "hands down" when they mean "haut la main".
    I wonder why you used our high rank language to deal with a common one that's spreading at any corner of the world. I guess you had to make sure Aminou could catch your say.

To Thierry the cyclist
    You are a real treasure trove for any basic question of grammar or whatever else. I for one hadn't ever logged on onedrive.live.com so far. Thank you for your help.
  • To Aminou
    About prepositions you said "suivant les mots auxquels ils (les prépositions) se rapportent ils peuvent induire une chose et son contraire".  I don't think your thought about preposition inferring a meaning or its opposite is right. For instance "happiness is on the meadow" <---> "mishap is on the meadow" : ON has nothing to do with the difference of meaning.

About particles: If it's important to learn grammar rules for some topics like the use of tenses, I think that the use of adverbs and particles is more quickly got by getting on the habit of their use. I've been learning on the GG for years now, I tried to get used to phrasal verbs by practising what I call a squirrel cage practice. Coming across an expression I'd like to get on with, I do like the squirrel rotating the cage. I utter the expression again and again, aloud, for some time, half a minute or so. Later in the day or the day after, I do the same. I use the expression as many times as I can in writing or speaking. Such a process engraves the expression in my nerves as a conditional reflex. It enters my active vocabulary.
    CU, Aminou?

Please sign in to leave a comment.