The present perfect tense

To form the present perfect tense: auxiliary verb have + past participle.
I have lost my keys.
Bruno has decided to take a break.

The action is finished and we want to emphasize this fact, or it is still relevant to the present moment:

He's (or He has) done his work. He has finished or completed his work.

We use the present perfect when: 

• an action occurred at an unspecified time in the past 

• a past action continues into the present

I haven't seen him lately. I haven't seen him recently.
Everything has been alright so far. Everything has been alright up to now.
The present perfect can be used in the progressive form:
-How long have you been living in San Francisco? -I have been living here for 10 years (or since 1999) -Since when have you lived in San Francisco? -I've lived here for 10 years (or since 1999).
Note: When an adverb (such as never, always, etc.) is present, it is always placed between the auxiliary verb and the past participle:
I have never been to San Francisco.
Susie has always dreamed of working in PR.

Still facing difficulties with 'The present perfect tense'? Improve your English with Gymglish's English lessons - try our online English course for free now and receive a free level assessment!

What our users say:

Pleasure

I enjoy doing my online English lessons. Only ten minutes daily are enough...Thank you!

Innovative

I love your innovative method which allows me to learn a new language and have fun at the same time!

Unique

Your method is unique! Your courses have helped me to progress and gain confidence during my travels.

Progress

Gymglish has allowed me to improve my English. A daily routine I wouldn't miss for anything in the world!

More testimonials.

Find out about other grammar rules. Improve your English further and test Gymglish, online English lessons.

Tips for learning 'The present perfect tense'? Share them with us!