The subjunctive preterit

The past subjunctive is used in the following type of constructions:
If I were you, I would talk to the manager.
It allows us to express a supposition, a wish, a desire (etc.), and is conjugated like the past simple, except for the verb to be:
Iwere(and not was)
Youwere
Hewere(and not was)
Wewere
Youwere
Theywere

Common constructions which use the past subjunctive:

• after if:
If I were a rich man!
If I had more time, I would show you my office. (= If I'd more time, I'd show you my office.)
(would expresses the conditional)
If she were my girlfriend, I would buy her roses every day.
• after the verb to wish, expressing a wish or regret:
I wish you were here. I regret the fact that you are not here.
Do you surf? - (No but) I wish I could. Do you surf? - (No but) I would love to surf.
• after would rather, expressing a preference:
I'd rather you came another time. I would prefer you to come another time.
Horatio would rather people didn't know about his test monkeys. Horatio would prefer people not to know about his test monkeys.
• after it's time:
It's about time Willy retired. It's time for Willy to retire.
It's high time that you and I had a chat about it.

Still facing difficulties with 'The subjunctive preterit'? Improve your English with Gymglish's English lessons - try our online English course for free now and receive a free level assessment!

What our users say:

Pleasure

I enjoy doing my online English lessons. Only ten minutes daily are enough...Thank you!

Innovative

I love your innovative method which allows me to learn a new language and have fun at the same time!

Unique

Your method is unique! Your courses have helped me to progress and gain confidence during my travels.

Progress

Gymglish has allowed me to improve my English. A daily routine I wouldn't miss for anything in the world!

More testimonials.

Find out about other grammar rules. Improve your English further and test Gymglish, online English lessons.

Tips for learning 'The subjunctive preterit'? Share them with us!