Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

Should we pronounce french words with an english accent ?

Hi there,

There's quite a lot of french words used in English like 'laissez-faire', 'blasé', 'bon vivant' etc...

Should we pronounce french words with an english accent ?
Or will it be enough to say them 'in french' to be generally understood ?

2 comments

• I think Straycat's concern is something to be gone into.
    Such a matter is likely to make learners unsure.

But I wonder whether GGusers have to balance any further about using natives accents or exotic ones. Within the Delavigne Corp. itself, they are used to come across a lot of exotic characters whose accents are all but natives ones.

I think it's up to everyone to make up their mind about pronunciation.
    I fact it depends on one's purpose. Namely a stray cat might make it with a strong coarse speech to lure people into his/her deeds whereas snooty bourgeois will play their high-class by pretending to speak with a French accent.

Would the rule be: Let everyone do it one's way. "Laissez-faire", the laisser-faire will let them do.
    First problem: Do you want to make you understood? Then be careful at the accent of the listeners and their ability to decipher your speech.
    An English 'blasé' has the stress of the first syllable, an American 'blasé' hos got in on the second syllable but neither of them tell is as a French.
    I always think to myself: I must take it easy with my accent! And in order to prevent any sting in the tail, I prop up my speech with my hands.

Hi, straycat, I wish you hot roofs.
  • Sorry, Straycat, for missing the capital letter of your Stray.
    Stray cats deserve a capital letter and French or English cats as well.
    Have a peaceful wandering with a moon-beam.

Please sign in to leave a comment.