Frantastique Users and Visitors Lounge


I am used to the usual French accent marks, acute, grave, circumflex etc. I have never before seen the accent mark on 'i' on the word for hate. What is it called?
Is it used on other French words?


  • tréma : ï, ë

    The tréma (dieresis) signals that a vowel should be pronounced independently, as a separate letter.
  • le père Noël

    haïr to hate

    le maïs corn
  • Merci - on entends quelquechose chaque jour!

Please sign in to leave a comment.