English Idioms

An incomprehensible sentence

Hi everybody.
I need a little help from you. I read this sentence:" It's giving you the cold shoulder because you went on holiday". I haven't any idea about the meaning...
Thank you for your explanation :)
Hope to see you soon

3 comments

• KPA said

Hi Sandrine
    I think there might be a mistake in your sentence: people give each other the cold shoulder, not things, so to say "it's giving you the cold shoulder" doesn't make much sense. "To give someone the cold shoulder" means to ignore them, to treat them poorly. So for example: "When I went into that shop, they didn't serve me, they just gave me the cold shoulder." Or "I met a nice guy at a party, but when I saw him a second time, he gave me the cold shoulder."
    The meaning is that someone turns their back on you, turns away from you and all you can see is their shoulder.
    Note also that it's "the cold shoulder," not "a cold shoulder."
    And finally, I guess you could say "it's giving you the cold shoulder" in a joking way about a computer (for example) if you press buttons on the keyboard but nothing happens.
    I nope this helps.

Hello! Thank you very much for your very clear and comprehensive explanation! I understand better now :)
    Have a good day!
  • Hi everybody.
    I need a little help from you. I read this sentence:" It's giving you the cold shoulder because you went on holiday". I haven't any idea about the meaning...
    Thank you for your explanation :)
    Hope to see you soon
  • I find that the songs Delavigne and overall their texts!Uninteresting !
    Dominique Rammaert/Brussels

Please sign in to leave a comment.