English Grammar

use of future tense

I think the following sentence isn't correct:
"I don't know when his plane WILL land "
For me it should be:
"I don't know when his plane lands "

7 comments

• In my modest opinion, as long as I've caught something in my previous GGlessons, it should be correct to say so:

NOW that I'm mulling over what you're concerned with, I don't know when his plane will land.
    In the same way:
    NOW that I'm mulling over what you're concerned with, I don't know when his plane landed.
    (The main clause is in the present tense, the relative clause introduced by when has to be put in the tense related to the time where the event happens.)

but

When his plane lands I'll be there to welcome him.
    (The main clause is in the future, so 'when' introduces a present form because the event is present at the upcoming moment I am welcoming him.)

That's the way I account for what I think being the common usage of these grammatical cases.
    But I keep aware that one could speak other way, could account for in another way. Because our languages are not logical.
    That's why I suggest we all get started speaking Chinese. There is only a present form for any action performed by a Chinese, it's at least what I've been said.
  • thanks your for your opinion and answer; I've learned that the future tense must not be used in dependent clause expressing time; so
    "when I am 60, I'll travel a lot; as soon as I've read this book, I would lend it to you"; I think it is a grammatical rule, but perhaps I'm wrong...
  • Hello! from "albatros 43" (I am just learning that with Gymglish) ; please find there, recent and clear comments about the"Concordance des temps au futur: subordonnée introduite par une conjonction de temps ( by Gymglish...)

Dans une phrase dont la proposition principale est au futur, toute subordonnée introduite par une conjonction de temps ( when , while , by the time ...) doit rester au présent :
    I will call you when I get to the office. Je t'appellerai quand je serai au bureau.
    (et non will get )

By the time we reach the age of 40, we'll have a house in the Hamptons. Quand nous aurons 40 ans, nous aurons une maison dans les Hamptons. (région aisée de Long Island, Etat de New York)

Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I 'm 64? Auras-tu encore besoin de moi, me nourriras-tu encore, quand j'aurai 64 ans? (chanson des Beatles)

Attention à ne pas confondre avec les phrases interrogatives, ou les phrases au présent avec subordonnée au futur:
    Do you know when Susie will come back from England? Savez-vous quand Susie rentre d'Angleterre?
    I wonder when Susie will come back from England. Je me demande quand est-ce que Susie reviendra d'Angleterre.
  • I wonder when and where Albatros43 will land?
    But will he ever land sometime somewhere?
    Flying at high level is like being on cloud nine.
    I'll be so happy when I succeed in flying beside him as my head of squadron.

Thanks to Albatros43 for his clear explanation.
    Wish him 43 more happy landings and much more furthermore.
  • what never dull moment means
  • what wussy means
  • Whatever does 'dull moment' mean?
    I can tell you that I live a dull moment when I'm screwing around or when I've to cope with someone who's boring me stiff.
    But there is never a dull moment when I have a stroll around the forum.

to screw around > glander
    to bore me stiff > me casser les pieds.

What does wussy mean?
    According to some dictionaries, a wuss (US, slang) is a person who is physically weak and ineffectual. (> une mauviette)
    No doubt that when you look like a wuss somewhere in the States, you're really wussy.

Please sign in to leave a comment.