English Idioms

to deserve

Hi, I'd like to know what this nexpresion means: "you deserve better from me". I'm not sure about that.
Thank so much

4 comments

• Hi,

I'm not sure but I think it's mean you can have (merit) better person than me.

Ciao
  • An idea about the Lupe's grammar question.

As an intransitive verb, deserve generally means to be worthy of someone/something. Its use seems to be literary.
    As synonym of WORTHY OF, deserve (intransitive) is generally followed by OF: to DESERVE OF s.o./sthg = to be DESERVING OF s.o./sthg
    French: méritant DE ; German: verdienstvoll VON ?[your nickname sounds German, hey!]
    "To deserve well of one's country" (Robert & Collins)
    "He deserves of his regiment"

Have a look at http://www.answers.com/

Deserve comes, via Old French 'deservir', from Latin de-servire, meaning to serve with zeal.

In the item you posted, I wonder whether the verb isn't used in its transitive form. You deserve better from me > you deserve a better thing from me (= You deserve that I provide you with something better). The context should give you some clue.
  • From my own point of view, you deserves better from me.....means that, you merites MORE, THE BEST from me.

The statement could be used or rather addressed to someone to says thank you or to express your appreciation or gratitude
  • Thank so much, your comments have been very useful.

Please sign in to leave a comment.