Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

DIDO

Hi, my name’s Veronique but I had to choose the nickname Dido (one of my favourite singer) because Veronique or Vero was not available, so…
I’m a new Gymglish member. I went to the forum and found it very interesting for anyone who wants improve its English.
Don’t hesitate to send me messages about any subjects, I’ll be so happy to answer you in English!
Read you soon.

21 comments

• Sorry, I did a big mistake about the title of my message, I wanted to title it "HELLO".I not consider me as a subject’s title.

Dido
  • hi dido are you my name is mariette i also the new gimglish member i learn english and i want te improve my level
    i will be very happy if together we work in all subject to improve our level
    see you soon
  • hi dido how are you ?my name is mariette i also the new gimglish member i learn english and i want te improve my level
    i will be very happy if together we work in all subject to improve our level
    see you soon
  • Hello Mariette, nice to meet you.
    I read the message you sent, you come from Cameroun, I come from Toulon in the South of France but I live at Paris (France) since a very long time, I go back to the South sometimes in summer.What about you?
    See you,
    Dido.
  • Best Dido-the-fan,

I wouldn’t miss the opportunity to comply with your advice about sending you messages.

At first let’s talk about the headline of this column. As you put it, you don’t consider yourself as a subject’s title. OK! But the other Dido could be the subject introduced by this title. Would you settle for a chat about the other Dido, the one you are the fan of? As that original Dido is at stake, our chat couldn’t get to be a mere chitchat.
    I’m very curious to know whether you could attend one of her live concerts in Paris?
    I suppose you have a lot of singles by her that you make run over nights and days.
    Would you be so kind as to tell more about the chanteuse, to give some additional hints to make Mariette the Cameroonian and me the European become fans of Dido.

Subsidiary tip.
    Dido is British. As any very British girl, she eats a lot of marmite. I wonder whether marmite is good for her voice. I noticed that she liked to grab marmite after concerts, not before.
    What’s your opinion, Véro-the-Dido? Are you a marmite-girl too?
    My partner who was born in England is very fond of marmite. In my country marmite is not sold in every grocery, so she has to know where she can get it.
    How do you manage to buy it?
    When my partner is in a very good mood she answers my sayings or my requests with a “Okay Dokay.” I don’t know if it is a common way to agree in England or anywhere. (GGusers who know could help me with information.)
    As Dido’s boyfriend must always be in a very good mood, he is used to replying with a “Okay Dido.” Could you match it up with some additional information?

Don’t forget your pledge, Dido-the-French-girl. You said : “I’ll be so happy to answer you in English!”.
    Mariette and I will be so much happy to read you.
  • About marmite turning Dido (the Armstrong one) crazy for.
    Here is the copy of an excerpt of her forum (Q&A)

"Dear Dido. Are you a Marmite person?
    Phil

Dido replies: Yes totally. I'm addicted to it. I used to eat toast and Marmite after the show every night when I got on the tour bus. Bev, my assistant, is one of those people (freaks) that thinks it's the most disgusting thing she's ever come across and it makes her gag. So, I was pretty impressed by the strength of her friendship when she'd make it for me after the show... She'd stand about five feet away to spread it. I just don't get how you can hate it. It's actually the only thing I can eat if I get sick. White bread and marmite.
    Mmmmmm."

About the boyfriend of Dido (the Armstrong one):
    Does Dido (the French Véro one) know about her succeeding in arm-stronging her boyfriend Bob the lawyer to marry her.

Maresah
  • Hello everybody,

I like the musical world of Dido and I’m not really interested about she likes marmite or no,I know nothing about her life;I’m not a crazy fan.
    I didn’t go to one of her concert yet, I know it's very bad and I'm sure you are thinking yourself "why she likes Dido" well, one time I heard a song of EMINEM(don't ask me I didn't remember the title)on which Dido sang "Thank you" I loved this small part of song,and I looked out for the name of the singers; that's the start of my musical story with Dido. I have hers 2 albums “No Angel” and “Life for Rent” I think she produced only these two, because “No Angel” dated of 1999, she takes a very long time to write, her last album released in 2003; and now I’m waiting the third.

“Okay, dokay” is using by English or American people; it’s a cool way to say “yes” I heard this expression often, with English friends of mine.

So, tell me Gee, or Maresah what does this “marmite” mean ???

Dido
  • Hi (sounding AI), Hello (sounding EO) Dido (sounding AI & EO),

Thank you, Dido, for leading us along to your liking of the word that's sounds so nice with an AI and an EO? (Sorry for not being able to use here the phonetic alphabet characters).

About marmite (sounding AI as well, and not as in French), you couldn't cross the channel without finding it on any hotel breakfast table. That common name comes from a registered brand. It's a typical British black-brown paste made of vegetal ingredients, namely celery and yeast. It's to be spread on bread or mixed into soups, stews, sauces for all meat and vegetable dishes.

Thank you for informing me about "Okay dokay". That reassures me that it's not a particuliar wording of my partner.

Everything is Okay, Dido.
    Have a sunny summer in Paris or Toulon.
    Gee
  • From Dido:
    Sorry, I did a big mistake about the title of my message, I wanted to title it "HELLO".I not consider me as a subject’s title.

Dido

Hello Dido !!

I like speake english ! and i am looking for some body to speak with him . So, Hi !
    Thanks !

KAREN

Please sign in to leave a comment.