Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

DIDO

Hi, my name’s Veronique but I had to choose the nickname Dido (one of my favourite singer) because Veronique or Vero was not available, so…
I’m a new Gymglish member. I went to the forum and found it very interesting for anyone who wants improve its English.
Don’t hesitate to send me messages about any subjects, I’ll be so happy to answer you in English!
Read you soon.

21 comments - page 2

• Hi Dido ;)

My name is also Vero, and I don't know why but I couldn't change my nickname..well, I am also a new member and like you I come from the south of France! Exactly I have just spent 4 years in Nice from oct.2002 to october 2006 in order to move to Paris where I was born and where I have lived till my 25 years. Iam living now in PAris and I work as a temp....
    Like you I knew Dido thanks to the Eminem's song, I am not sure if this the song used in the movie "Eight Miles"?
    Anyway, it would be great if we could speak together and please anybody correct my mistake, my level is a quite bad..!!

See you

From Dido:
    Hi, my name’s Veronique but I had to choose the nickname Dido (one of my favourite singer) because Veronique or Vero was not available, so…
    I’m a new Gymglish member. I went to the forum and found it very interesting for anyone who wants improve its English.
    Don’t hesitate to send me messages about any subjects, I’ll be so happy to answer you in English!
    Read you soon.

• To Véronique
    I wouldn't interfere but just point out what I think be a grammar mistake.
    You spent 4 years in Nice from 2002 to 2006. (Preterit because it's completely finished, you don't live in Nice any more.)
    The same goes for living in Paris. If I catch correctly your say, you were born in Paris and LIVED there until being 25, it's when you moved away. (Even if you are a Parisian again, your stay in Paris hasn't been lasting non-stop until now.)
  • Thank you Gee for your help!!

See you
  • I like Gee for that; he’s the perfect grammar teacher.

Happy to meet you Véronique, my level is not very high too, I have some problems with grammar; you know Preterit and Co, but I think that together and anybody wants to help us...

To Karen,
    Someboby is a pronoun writting in a one word.
    The personal pronoun "I" is always in capital as the adjectives and nationalities'noun, states and languages: I like to speak English. I come from France, I'm French.

I will be happy to continu to help you Karen, and read you soon Véro.

Bye,
    Dido
  • Hi Dido!

Hope you are well!

What I'm expecting with Gymglish is of course a revision of grammar rules, but also and especially a training for the oral understanding and it's quite difficult to find a good website. So if you Dido or someone else knows this kind of link (free if possible ;) it would be great. Because like this morning I was in interview for a job as a temp secretary, they were not looking for especially somebody bilingual but he asked me a few questions in english and I did not feel very combortable. Actually I was not prepared but even if I have the vocabulary and if I know what I want to say, it's not fluent...because I have not been practising english for 5 years so I lost it and now to pretend a good job and a good wage, english is required. So writing english is pretty easier than speaking, because you have more time to think about. So I am looking for forum, live discussions in order to train my brain to think in english and react rapidly.....otherwise I can also go abroad but it 's too expensive for me now lol.

Have a nice day, see you!
  • Quite well produced writing here above.
    However,I would pretend TO a good job and I'd practise English (not english).
    A website that I came across here in the forum:
    http://www.eslpod.com/website/index.php
    It's perfect American spoken at a slow rate of speech. Therefore it could possibly be sheer boredom to you, Véronique. But you could try it for size.
  • Many many thanks Gee!!!

I am going to see this website....I'll tell you later my feelings about it!!

See you
  • From Gee:
    Quite well produced writing here above.
    However,I would pretend TO a good job and I'd practise English (not english).
    A website that I came across here in the forum:
    http://www.eslpod.com/website/index.php
    It's perfect American spoken at a slow rate of speech. Therefore it could possibly be sheer boredom to you, Véronique. But you could try it for size.

Hi Gee, this website seems interesting, the lessons are not expensive and we anderstand the speaker very clearly.I kept the address because I would like to try the novel.

Véronique if your are interesting, go the English library SMITH or BRENTANO'S American library. At Smith I bought a CDROM 'Tell me more' with which I can talking, there are different level of English,it's a good training, and during 3 months I took part to an English group of conversation named KONVERSANDO.We had a teacher who gave us a subject and we talked about, during 2hours. I stopped because I went after work at 8 to 10 evening, so it was to late, but it's a vey good way to improve its English. And if you sant to read you could buy the newspaper
    VOCABLE. Is making espacially for learning English (American or English) Some kiosques sales it, or go the website.

Sorry my proposal are not free but it's difficult to find something totally free!

OK I'm going to work now, have a nice day.

Bye,

Dido
  • To make it clear:
    'English as a Second Language Podcast' is totally free as long as you don't ask for the learning guide. In my opinion, you needn't. Listening (and reading at the same time) can be a useful additional exercise to the GymGlish for people who are still beginners and have time to kill. Otherwise it will soon get boring.
  • From Gee:
    To make it clear:
    'English as a Second Language Podcast' is totally free as long as you don't ask for the learning guide. In my opinion, you needn't. Listening (and reading at the same time) can be a useful additional exercise to the GymGlish for people who are still beginners and have time to kill. Otherwise it will soon get boring.

OK, thank you Gee.

Dido

Please sign in to leave a comment.