English Vocabulary

french to english

i would like to have more vocabulary exercices french->english than english->french.
how i can have that?
thank's

29 comments - page 3

• May I interfere? Hearing from Jean-Pierre that the supremely graceful roundabouts which adorn all of our crossings whatever the roads: route nationale, route départementale, chemin vicinal, and even –maybe- soon sentier de grande and petite randonnée… all our beautiful roundabouts are unknown to America!... Hearing that was such a shock to me that it left me voiceless for a full day!
    I hadn’t realised so far that there was such a huge gap between our civilizations… Some people naively think religions are at the heart of the clash of civilizations, but obviously there it is: roundabouts!
    Something must be done as a matter of great urgency. We cannot let America continue on such a wrong path! Is there anybody here with enough influence to inform the Government? Time is running short!
    Well, joking apart, I too think this is a very interesting issue, and not a simple one (I mean speaking and translating). But I don’t quite agree with Jean-Pierre. To begin with, speaking one’s own language is a translating exercise. Translation of one’s thoughts, sensations, emotions, into words and sentences. And there are not 2 persons who will do it in the same manner, except maybe something as simple and practical as “passe-moi le sel please”. Hence the so frequent misunderstandings when communicating.
    To speak in another language than one’s own is just a further degree of translation.
    That’s all folks (for today). Have a good evening and night!
  • That's it, here we are. And now, whose turn is it? Don’t be shy. Just give your best shot. Since, we never wanna hear anyone say : “ain't nothing but a fruit-cake“. Come on, it’s gonna be the best forum ever.
    -It's nothing but a fruit-cake = c'est rien qu'un truc débile-
    It's gonna be so much fun.
    -gonna = going to-
    See you. I'm right back.
  • Translation
    Latin : translatus, pp of transferre
    trans – ferre (to carry through)

By crossing the Atlantic the supremely graceful roundabouts adorning our crossroads turn into trite traffic circles. Saba’s fierce battle to save the English language jewels will go a long way towards the speech degradation, and doing so, will enjoy us a lot.
    The problem is that from across the Atlantic they might put a reverse spin on the issue.

Now let’s cut to the chase.
    Here I beg to differ, Saba.

I am entirely in your opinion as you say that every day we have real-life experiences (e.g. states of minds, mental images, feelings, emotions) which are not elaborated with words and sometimes unutterable.
    In those cases, as long as one has to talk about them, I would admit that you might call that process “translation” rather than verbalization.
    But most often in our everyday life, the words go with the real-life experience (le vécu) and are not a secondary phase of experience.
    Much more, would you be aware or unaware of it, the words are part of the core of the experience. (referring here to – among others – Jacques Lacan)

Learning a foreign language is a different process.
    Even if you plunge right away in an immerged learning situation, you come in with all your psycho sensory tools and baggage. At first your real-life experience is still conditional on your usual language. And the workout at that stage cannot go without some translation.

When your command of the language has improved, you get thinking in that language. That’s what Jean-Pierre does, superior English speaker as he is. I think that it’s also why, at schools, everything is given and explained in the learning language as most as possible.
    As for me, I do my best to think straight away in English.

Eventually we have to consider the job of translators and interprets. That’s quite a different workout. I assume that those people have to move around easily in both languages that are at stake.
    For a simultaneous translation the interpreter ALWAYS translates from his second language into his native one. That’s why the European Institutions suffer from a lack of interpreters to translate into English the several languages of Central Europe. English native speakers knowing those languages are hard to come by. The reverse is not true.

Now I leave the floor for someone else.
  • You leave the floor TO someone else.
    That’s what I'd like to hear.
    I take the floor to ask you:
    Isn’t it a better way to do it?
    Isn’t it a better way to tell it?
    Or is it a wrong way anyway?
    I’ll leave it to you to decide.
    Now it’s about time.
    I’ll leave it at that.
    I leave the floor to anyone who’d like to lead the right way.
  • From brandi:
    i would like to have more vocabulary exercices french->english than english->french.
    how i can have that?
    thank's

where do you cpme from?
    CAN YOU TALK ME AT NUMBER PHONE
    TO DISCORED YOUR SPEACH
    N°0685520284
    GERARD
  • hello i am a new i have much question
  • I was expecting from gymglish to send me some excercise that i could work on it but here i find just the massages from ather please tell me how to use it.thanks
  • I was expecting from gymglish to send me some excercise that i could work on it but here i find just the massages from ather please tell me how to use it.thanks
  • From Franette:
    Write directly to Gymglish via email. I'm sure they'll give you what you want.

hello ist the first time y come to this forum.i don't anderstand how to do . can you help me please ?

Please sign in to leave a comment.