Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

Story for and by very beginners only

There are so many beginners telling they would chat in English but putting no topic forward.
I invite anyone to write some lines hereafter.
However I think the rule should be that any writer starts with the last sentence(s) of the former writer and goes on with something that makes sense. The aim is not to write a novel that could claim the Pulitzer Prize but simply be a chance of practicing English with simple plain words.
Besides, saying again the last sentence of the former writer should open the opportunity to correct possible mistakes.

More advanced learners whose pen is itching should rather go on with the Amy's Bloody Yarn.
Here beginners only.
Plain words, simple speaking.

25 comments - page 2

• I UNDERSTAND THE INPUT ABOUT THE STORY ABOUT A TAILOR AND SO ON BUT I MISSED THE REST ABOUT MANY OTHER THING AND "TIPIC TOPICS" WITH NO SENSE AT ALL. cOULD ANYONE CAN HELP ME AND MAKE SENSE WITH A CURRENT STORY AND/ OR STOART ANEW ONE.

IT WOULD BE NICE TO DIFFERENCIATE THE GENERAL PROUPOSE AND A SIMPLE CHATTING OR CAFE CHATTING ROOM. WE ARE HERE TO LEARN, WITH A SORTY, WITH ATOPIC , WITH DE LAVIGNE OR WITHOW.
    I AM READY , PLEASE SHOOT SOME GOOD STORIES...
    (cw)
  • Hi Everyone,
    Just joined the group on trial for 10 sessions and wanted to know if you feel that you're actually improving your English?!

Does anyone live in Lyon who wants to talk talk talk rather than hide behind the screen?

Would love to chat for hours about Mr Delavigne and his vine leaves! But gotta do my next lesson! Ciao for now...

PS. sometimes if we can't find a word in the dictionary is cause we're not spelling it correctly and English is sooooo hard cause nothing seems to have the same sound... it's all spelt differently. where wear we're ware. waiste waste how on earth is this language suppose to be easy to learn?
  • Gee,

How is the weather in London? In Quebec, since few days we have a lot of snow. It's very nice and particularly in the mountains. The city where I leave is, in fact, a place who receives much snow, not always before the end of December, but this year, we are happy to be able skiing since one week.

It's very important to have someone who accepts to give me some comments about my English.

Louise

From Québecoise:

• From Gee:
    There are so many beginners telling they would chat in English but putting no topic forward.
    I invite anyone to write some lines hereafter.
    However I think the rule should be that any writer starts with the last sentence(s) of the former writer and goes on with something that makes sense. The aim is not to write a novel that could claim the Pulitzer Prize but simply be a chance of practicing English with simple plain words.
    Besides, saying again the last sentence of the former writer should open the opportunity to correct possible mistakes.

More advanced learners whose pen is itching should rather go on with the Amy's Bloody Yarn.
    Here beginners only.
    Plain words, simple speaking.

• Dear Marusan, I like your tale. To my mind it’s worth going on with it. But some mistakes should be fixed. In order to go on with it, I take the liberty to make you some proposals for amendment in order to let the story go on by anyone interested in.

There was a time when a sailor was travelling in the boss’ ship. He was married to a beautiful woman, but when the sailor was on board his wife was feeling ill. Nobody in the woman’s village knew what was happening to her, and nobody could help her. Besides they didn't have any way to tell her husband what was happening. After about two months the woman died. She got buried in the local cemetery. When the sailor returned home, he got to know the tragedy. So he decided to commit suicide. But first he went to the cemetery and put off the body of his wife. He took it and carried it to the sea. Then, he began to walk along the sand beach until disappearing. Nobody ever heard again of this couple. (*)

( *) "anybody returned to know about this couple". What do you mean? Nobody went to the seashore to know about the couple? Everybody went back to the village without knowing anything? ?
    Looking for your answer.
  • Hi Minabam,

When I started this thread, I intended several persons to write in turn a story. But it didn't work.
    Here on the forum anarchy is ruling, for the best and for the worst. So it's difficult to keep a thread on a definite topic.
    Anyway you may start a story on a new thread and I promise to do my best in giving a follow-up.

As any (cw) is worth a [CS], I'm coming with my suggestions for amending your say. This is how I'd have written your message.

"I understand the input of a story about a tailor and so on but, I missed what happened because, among many other things, some typical topics went on with no sense at all. Could anyone help me with making sense with going on with the current story or starting a new one?

It would be nice to make the difference between the main purpose of the forum and a mere chatting corner. We are here to learn, with a story, with a topic, with or without Delavigne.
    I am ready. Please shoot some good stories..."
    [CW]
  • Hi Louise,

I read at 17:20 CET the note you posted at 02:29 CET.
    CET stands for Continental European Time. That time reference is one hour later than the UTC (Universal Time Coordinated) also known as GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). At the moment you posted your note, what time was it at your place? I presume 7 or 8PM.

You are very lucky to have as much snow as to go down the slopes with skiing. I am very fond of Alpine skiing. I would be pleased to learn more about your skiing conditions.
    As you possibly know, there is seldom snow in London which has a oceanic climate. Today evening the wind came from west with a force of 16 Knots, and gusts up to 26 Kts. The temperature was 15°C and the dew point 13°, which means a moist atmosphere. A low layer of clouds at 1,000 feet (300m) lets expect rain during the night.

Now let's get started with the comments you requested about your note.
    Your writing suits me perfectly well. Talking of snow and ski has always been a delight to me.
    - I wonder whether your use of SINCE is correct. In this context I think that since is a preposition introducing a precise moment in the past.
    I think you should have told "since a few days ago" & "since last week".
    If it has been snowing a few days long, you could also say "We have got a lot of snow for a few days" (during)... or "for one week".
    - You LIVE in a city. Which one? Which altitude?
    To leave a city is to quit it.
    - A place which receives much snow.
    WHO is a pronoun for persons, WHICH is the matching word for things.
    I wonder if a native speaker would use "receive" in this context. I'm not sure but I would rather say "A place which gets much snow", (or "takes in much snow"???)

A fellow user of this forum has created a code (C.W.) that you might add at the end of your notes to let know that you would be pleased to be corrected, if need be. I am going to do so in order to be confirmed or infirmed about what I said of SINCE.
    Wish you soft snow.
    Gee
    [CW]
  • To forestine79

Sorry. I hadn't caught sight of your request about the topic.

The word "topic" comes from Greek "topos" which means something like place, space, area. "TOPICS" is the name given to a work by Aristotle dealing with logic. Aristotle called "topoi" (English: topics) some general forms of arguments, something like paradigms, models, patterns. To succeed in arguing any individual argument has to be shaped according to a topic.
    The first meaning of topic is argument.
    But most commonly nowadays the term topic points out the subject of a discourse. (topic = subject)

So many newbies on the forum tell they'd like to talk but say nothing but being eager to talk.
    To talk you need to have something to say. Otherwise it's talking for the sake of talking. And just saying that you want to say can't lead you very far.
    I started this thread "story for and by beginners" to try to set up a technique that could foster beginners' writing. As it was foreseeable I couldn't pull it through.

If you couln't find out the word "topic" in your dictionary (only 1 n) that's because you failed your looking up or because the dictionay is a very small one for tourists asking for their way. Watch out for the full e-mail address that's connecting you right away to this forum, the term Topic is stuck inside.

Read you around, forestine79 ?
  • Sorry,I guess I got to think in another better "happy end". When I have a little time I will wrote again. I'm waitting for new ideas. Thank you very much for read my story and for correct it, really! See you!
  • There was a time when a sailor was travelling in the boss ship's. He was married with a beautiful woman, but when he was on board she felt ill. Nobody in her village knew what had happened to the woman, and nobody could help her. Besides they didn't have any way to told his husband what was happening. About two months the woman died. She was burried in the local cementery. When the sailor returned to his home, he noticed about the tragedy, so he decided to suicide. But first he went to the cementery and put off the body of his wife. He took it and carry it to the sea. Then, he began to walk along the sand until disapeared and Anybody returned to know about this couple.

Please sign in to leave a comment.