English Idioms

Idiomatic expressions

hi everybody I'm badger from Mexico and I would like to share several idiomatic expressions to be able to understand what English people say.

Expression: Meaning:
Like a jack in the box To appear suddenly
Learn by heart To memorize
In the tip of my tongue I dont remember right now
Put up with To tolerate
look up to To admire
get over with To have a good relationship

I hope these idiomatic expressions will be helpfull to you

27 comments

• Hi Badger,

Some of your expressions are wrong I'm afraid. I'll open it out to our users, does anyone else know the correct versions of these expressions?
  • A jack in a box is a toy like a 'jumping jack', a small puppet popping out of a box. If something or someone appears suddenly like a jack popping out of a box, I guess you can use the expression as an analogy. I don’t know if any English idiom is linked to a jack in a box.

Any memorizing in not learning by heart. To learn by heart / to know by heart is to learn/know by rote, as to be able to tell it automatically without any reflexion.

I have got it on the tip of my tongue.
    What I would say, I can't just find the word. Or, I am about to tell it but I restrain myself from telling it.

As you said, Badger, to put up with s.o./sthg is to tolerate them/it.
    And to look up to s.o. is to admire s.o.

I don’t think you are right about 'to get over with'.
    To get over with means to be done with, to have it over, to be finished with.

[All that with all proper reserve! And furthermore: CW!]
  • The expression by heart is to memorize or learned by rote, I think both opinions are correct. The expression "To get over with" means to conclude, to finish. The expression On the tip of my tongue the meaning is correct "I can't just find the word".
  • The expression by heart is to memorize or learned by rote, I think both opinions are correct. The expression "To get over with" means to conclude, to finish. The expression On the tip of my tongue the meaning is correct "I can't just find the word".
  • If "to get over whith" means to conclude, to have good relationship is "to get on"
  • Hello,

My name is Tony.
    I remenber from my school English the idiom :" to brush up your English "
    But I finded nobody who knows it.
    Is it still correct ?

Have a lot of fun with raising your knowledge of the English language.

Peace out,

Tony
    P.S. I'am glad to receive corrections about this intervention.
  • Right Tony!
    Up until now I didn't know that expression. I crosschecked it in the dictionary which is going along with you about that idiom.
    You are right, Tony, as learners we always need to brush up our English!
    To revise and revise, to brush up and brush up again, that's our fate!
  • Thank you Gee.
  • it's my first day on gymglish and I would like to learn english as well as possible so if you want to try with me it will be fine to you ....I can learn very fast if you are patient and I want to speak like a real english girl......so I am waiting for you ...thanks

Please sign in to leave a comment.