English Idioms

Idiomatic expressions

hi everybody I'm badger from Mexico and I would like to share several idiomatic expressions to be able to understand what English people say.

Expression: Meaning:
Like a jack in the box To appear suddenly
Learn by heart To memorize
In the tip of my tongue I dont remember right now
Put up with To tolerate
look up to To admire
get over with To have a good relationship

I hope these idiomatic expressions will be helpfull to you

27 comments - page 2

• great idiomatic expresions, i didn't know them... I've got others, check out

It's a mickey mouse watch, means: it's a very cheap watch with low quality

It's a piece of cake! means: it's so easy that my little sister can do it!! jaja

I don't remember more, they're wroten on my notebook but it doesn't be at hand.

I'll write more tomorrow... PLEASE check and reply your comments and critics about my writing... thanks!!! it's my first day here... see you
  • Hi at all....

This is my fisrt time too...

And this section really it was very so funnyyyyy!!

But learn idiomatic expresions...
  • Thanks for your kind reply. I just wonder where your distrust of Scottish comes from.
    While I was browsing on the net this morning, I found on the site books.google.dz in Proverbs of Scotland by Alexander Hislop,2003, a plosible explanation of the proverb (and thus a confirmation of its existence as a proverb):
    When a man's shoe is blackened and bedaub'd with industry, it will procure him such a supply as will make him cheerful.-Kelly

Another proverb that goes with the same explanation:
    "A black hen can lay white eggs."
  • It's not an English proverb, but a Scottish one: "A black shoe makes a blythe heart." Can somebody give me its meaning? Thanks a lot and take pleasure.
  • I would like to shed some light on your problem...

Here's the context of the song for everybody:

But all that's left is a place dark and lonely
    A terraced house in a mean street back of town
    Becomes a shrine when I think of you only
    Just two-up two-down

The last line means "just two rooms upstairs and two rooms downstairs".
  • Hello everybody,
    I like to understand songs, sometimes it's not easy and not always very "clever",but even though, I'd like to understand the meaning of the following sentence I've heard in "no milk today": "just two up two down'. Somebody can help me. Thanks.
  • Hi, this is my first time in this forum. Can you tell me what is the best form to start learning more ingles?
  • HI BADGER
    PLEASE VAN YOU ALSO GIVE ME THE TRANSLATION OF THESE IDIOMS IN FRENCH

THANKS

From Jones, Brian Jones:
    Hi Badger,

Some of your expressions are wrong I'm afraid. I'll open it out to our users, does anyone else know the correct versions of these expressions?

• Found no Scottish proverb looking like that one among thousands listed at http://www.visitrannoch.com/scottish-proverbs-6.htm

If I were you, I'd mistrust Scottish of all kinds.
    Even though I can easily catch what a blithe heart is (cheerful, carefree), I wonder whether your Scottish proverb is not a marketing slogan for black shoes or even for the doll Blythe.
    Unless it is a real proverb having to do with shod or barefoot going people.
    Like you, I look forward to learning more.
  • Hi at all...., that's the own idiomatic greetings delivered to all by our new cappucinno wannabe fellow. It's a high roasted tip. It rarely reached my ears if at all.

Looking forward to meet with you tomorrow morning at the coffee-machine.
    Good night to all of you.

Please sign in to leave a comment.