Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

Connection Problems with the Gymglish server

Dear Users,

Our internet provider (Netissime) had an optical cable problem on September 4th 2006, from about 5pm to 10pm French time.

This is the reason why our server was unavailable during this period yesterday, and thus unable to handle the lessons or to allow new subscriptions.

We are very unhappy about this, and we are glad that this type of problem only very rarely occurs (we had one such problem last year). Still, we are thinking of new ways to insure that even if Netissime breaks down, we will not lose your answers.

We are sorry for all inconvenience this may have caused.

We wish you all a very good time with Gymglish,

Best Regards,
Antoine,
Chief Technical Officer - Gymglish.com

13 comments

• I understand now why that didn't work.

Thanks

gmm
  • Dear Users,

Our internet provider (Netissime) had a problem again on October 19th 2006, which caused our server to be unreachable from approximately 10:30 to 14:00, and from 15:45 to 16h30 (Paris time).

Netissime say that their backbone node had a problem. They have a redundant connection to the backbone node, but only one backbone node. (This is the same type of problem as on September 4th)

As stated before, we are very unhappy about this. It does not help that we have two servers at Netissime if Netissime is unreachable altogether.
    We have been working on a rescue plan since September 4th, and we found a way to provide a 'degraded mode of operation' at another provider. We already ordered a backup server at another provider, and we are in the process of setting it up. When this server will be ready, if this type of problem with Netissime occurs again, we will switch to the backup server and provide a 'degraded mode of operation' where at least the user's corrections will be saved for later processing and the web site will be accessible (including images and audios).

Best Regards,
    Antoine,
  • Hello Gymglish Team,

I wondered if it was not possible to get information in real time, when this kind of technical issues happens?

A web information page, or something...

Because this is so frustrating to complete the lesson 3 or 4 times without beeing able to send it. I let you imagine.

Kind Regards
    MHE
  • Dear Users,

Tonight, from Wednesday February 14th 2007 23:45 to Thursday February 15th 2007 08:47 (Paris Time: GMT+1) the Gymglish Web server was half down due to a badly written database query (by me) which took all the ressources of the database server.

The server was taken care of this morning, and was intermitently available from 08:47 to 10:24 (Paris Time) by which time the problem was eventually fixed.

We are sorry for all inconvenience this may have caused, preventing access to some lessons, to the workbook and to the forum.

Best Regards,
    Antoine,
  • Dear Users,

Today, Wednesday August 8th 2007, from 1:30am to 15:45, and then again from 19:20 to 23:20 on the same day, the main Gymglish web site was not available.
    This is due to a problem (again !) with our internet server host Netissime. Apparently, one of their customer overloaded one of their routers, and this broke the connection between www.GymGlish.com and the Internet. Our internet server host was not very good giving us precise information about what was going on, neither about when this was supposed to be fixed for real.

This time however, we had a backup server ready to handle the responses of the lessons (even if we could not send the answers right away) so that no user answer has been lost. Moreover, we could use the backup server to keep our users informed about the problem as we handled it.
    (This information is currently available under http://free1.gymglish.com/index.html, but this link will not work forever)

Still, many users who got their lessons only as a link were unable to do their GymGlish, and some users were unable to listen to their audio files. The workbook, the forum and the web site were also not available. This is not acceptable, and we will either get an good Service Level Agreement with Netissime, or change our internet server host.

If you had problems with our server on the 8th of August 2007 (and only in this case please), contact us at support _at_ gymglish.com : we offer to compensate for today's problems by giving the concerned users asking for it one free month of GymGlish subscription. Please make sure that you specify your Gymglish email address when writing to us about this offer. This offer is valid for 10 days.

Best Regards,
    Antoine,
  • please, can you explain to me how to contact you on " support_at_gymglish.com" ? yesterday, it was impossible for me to go on my workbook and to listen to the audio, so i couldn't send my lesson and today, i have no new lessons to do.
    thanks
  • actually i think i can answer to myself : i understand now that support_at_gymglish.com is and i will send you an email right now !!! how scatterbrain i am !
  • Dear users,

Our internet host (netissime.com) had another network problem from Saturday August 18th 2007 at 22h (Paris time) until Monday morning 3am (Paris time), and then again on Monday August 20th 2007 from around 10am to 11:30am (Paris time). According to our host, the first problem was due to a maintenance operation over the week-end, and the second problem (of this Monday morning) was due to a network attack.

The connection to our web site was very irregular during these two periods.

Our internet host has also warned us that more maintenance is to be expected over the course of this week.

This quality of service is not acceptable, and we have decided to change our internet host. We will chose a host capable of providing a Service Level Agreement including 24h/24h 365 days yearly support, which netissime.com is not able to provide.

GymGlish.com has been fully accessible since 11h30 (Paris Time), and we hope that it will stay available until we change our internet host (which will require a few weeks because of the delay needed to get the servers delivered to the new host). We will keep you updated on this progress.

We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Best Regards,
    Antoine,
  • Dear users,

Due to a failed database server on November 9th 2007 at 19:00 Paris time we were forced to run in 'degraded mode of operation' while working on setting up the replacement server with another provider. On November 10th 2007 at 8:00 Paris time we had out website up and running and could start handling responses and sending lessons again.

Currently we are working at restoring the lessons that were on the database server, but this may take some time since we need to get access to the harddrive of the failed server. All lessons generated (sent to you) after November 10th 8:00 Paris time will work as expected.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Best regards,

Leo Tingvall
    Software Engineer - GymGlish.com

Please sign in to leave a comment.