English Vocabulary

The importance of phrases

Hi everybody,

To become fluent you have to speak English without thinking about grammar rules. That is why it seems too difficut learning English.

The key thing that learners have to understand is to learn language like children. You must to learn some of expressions what I called "phrases".

Phrase consist of (2) two or five (5) words belong together.
Typically, phrases appear many times into texts.
Memorize them to get a sense more naturally.

For instance,
"built up credibilily" = se faire une crédibilité
"once upon a time" = il était une fois
"Fisrt of all" = Premièrement ou tout d'abord.

You do not need to know why this is. Just memorize them and use them into your speaking and writing in order to become a fluent more quickly.

Have a nice day.

If you have any comments let me know

5 comments

• The former line here above entices me to tell with my own words what djomanilian is teaching us? My aim is to emphasize his advice, relying on him to be corrected if I'm mistaken.

A great part of the language is made of automatism. To create automatisms one needs to drive a motor sequence again and again to eventually make it work by itself. Furthermore one's speaking ability is a matter for several human skills, notably memorisation of sounds and motor conditioning. Hence one should handle the conditioning process by uttering aloud short sequences of speach, or at least by "uttering them mentally". The working process as displayed by djomanilian should build up a set of "active vocabulary" what doesn't bring reading and listening.

A phrase, as a group of 2 to 5 or so words that bear to one another a coordinate relation, is the perfect stuff for that conditioning training. Most often the phrase will be an idiom i.e. a particuliar expression that cannot be derived from the separate meaning of its elements.

Such practice - may I say training? - leads to feel like a native speaker! My God! Yes, its a training, a workout. Don't forget we are practising Gymnastics of English!
  • Thank you Gee for your comments !
  • The same in return, djomanilian.

I can't help deploring that my mistakes get seldom corrected.
    Wasn't my lame "speach" (Boo!!!) worth putting right?
    Mistakes in any speech (Aah! That's a relief!) are useful as long as they get corrected. Whose job is the "righter of wrongs"?
    Don't worry, fellow GG users, there is no "house of correction" hereabouts. Though anyone of good will should stand in for it. An Irish proverb says that it is in the shelter of each other that the people live. It's all the more true in this forum.
  • HI Everybody, i'm new , and want to improve my english, to speak and understand when people talk with me

i have difficult to speak, sometimes i know the word, and i know how can i speak, but when i have some behind me i block
  • Hi Meriem Mounia!

About your name.
    What a lovely first name, Mounia. I've been fond of since I had a classmate going by that name.

About your wishes.
    So, you are a <new>. Your wishes are that of any newcomer. I think you may use <new> as a noun.

About the hard time you have at speaking.
    You may say <I have difficulty in speaking> or <it's difficult to me to speak> or <It's hard to me to speak> or better <I find it hard to speak>.

About the word you know.
    In guess you wanted to say: <I know the word and how to tell it.>

About having some behind you.
    Is it a word behind you? As your sentence goes about words, telling <some> should make me think that <some> is a pronoun for word. But the situation you are describing inclines me to think there is person behind you.

You <block>.
    Just as in a collective sports game, you block an opponent.
    The best therapy to prevent you blocking the words that have to come out your mouth is to look at words as at friends, not ennemies. That should help you being relaxed and letting words flowing at ease.

Some months ago I was a new like you're to the moment. I wish you the best in improving by a hard working.

Please sign in to leave a comment.