English Vocabulary

Could anybody translate in German?

Could anybody translate this sentence in German:

"I pray of you to believe in the expression of my distinguished consideration."

Thank you.

Regards
Petra

6 comments

• Oh Petra! For goodness' sake, stop! Never make such a wretched stuff infiltrate Goethe's language, it would spoil it forever and the poet would throw up in his grave.

I wonder where that pompous litterature comes from. Is it from Middle English? It smells sweat and looks like a laboured translation from an outdated French sentence by a Tartuffe into a comical so-called English.

If such awful thing came up here in heaven I'd make mincemeat of it and throw it to Cerberus, the dog.

Now, Petra, I've to calm down. Maybe I'm off-side, out of the real world. Some old formal expression can possibly here and there survive as tough stuff through centuries. So wait and see for the opinion of an expertised GymGlish user. (Yes, there are some!)

Angelically yours,
    G.A.
  • Hello Angel,

Thank you for your comments. I can imagine what you mean and would never use it in spoken English.

Bye for now
    Petra
  • I talked to St-Peter about your translation, Petra. St-Peter might be the oldest guy in heaven. I thought he could be the best informed about customs through eras. Of course he speaks several languages fluently, Latin, Greek and Hebrew. Not German! But he has his ways and he could right away hand out these clues to you:
    Americans use "Sincerely" for almost all non-personal letters.
    The British use "Yours sincerely."
    The Germans say, "With friendly greetings." (Mit freundlichen Grüßen.)
    The French say: "Thanking you for your confidence, I pray you to believe, Monsieur, in the assurance of my best sentiments."
    Or, "I pray you to receive, Madame, the expression of my distinguished consideration."
    Or, "Receive, Monsieur le Président du tribunal correctionnel, my distinguished salutation."
    Or, "Please accept, Madame l'Inspectrice d'Académie, the expression of my high consideration."
    Or, "In hoping very strongly for a favorable response, be assured, Monsieur, of my perfect consideration."
    Or, "Please accept, Madame, my respectful homage."

A woman must not, however, send her "sentiments" or "homage" to a man (oh-là -là !) but should use "expression of my respect" instead.
    These are not jokes. The French really write this way.
    But would you ask a German woman to speak that way?

St-Peter’s ways are these: http://www.ruerude.com:80/2006/04/this_week_i_hav.html

Would you anyway use the phrase in English, I think you shouldn’t say "I pray of you to believe…" but "I pray you to believe…"

Now about a German translation I’m looking for Omar, a fellow that has just come up from Tunisia after a fatal car crash. He lived in Germany for a long time and speaks German fluently. I’ll forward you his advice ASAP.

That's all for now,
    G.A.
  • To The Guardian Angel

Ref. to your previous message to Petra.

You said "it smells sweat".
    I wonder if a native British (I guess that there are no American ones) angel would tell it that way.
    I know that like me you are a faithful GymGlish user and therefore you are quite used to smelling Delavigne's fragrances.
    But I think that it would be more natural to say:
    "It smacks sweat and labouring."
    To smack, v.t. (fig.), to have a trace, a vestige or suggestion.

Hope you won't take my remark as smacks of treason.
    Gwen
  • Guardian Angel,

I was just taken aback at reading on the forum my own message to you.
    If I sent a private message to your personal e-mail address this morning, it was for it be not disclosed.
  • Zuerst am Anfang, scheint es mir , dass so ein Ausdruck eine schwere Uebersetzung,
    aus einem altmodischen Französisch von Tartuffe ist.
    Es riecht süss. Aber vielleicht irre ich mich. Vielleicht bin ich daneben, so viele schwere Sachen zu bearbeiten , um diese über Jahrhunderte am Leben zu halten.
    Was ist Ihre Meinung ?

See you next Tuesday,
    Omar

Sorry, Petra, Omar didn't understand which sentence he had to translate!

Please sign in to leave a comment.