English Vocabulary

I dont understand " I`m a 15 . lesson8

at introduction day 8 kevin says " Oh my handicap in golg! I`m a 15
please explain it to me I`m not a golfer

2 comments

• You're not a golfer, Bernd. Neither do I. But I asked my fellow-guardian angel of Tiger Woods to explain what it is about. He told me that handicap systems are not used in professional golf. Nevertheless he had some knowledge of it. Here is a summary of his explanations.

A golf handicap is a numerical measure of an amateur golfer's playing ability. It can be used to calculate a net score from the number of strokes actually played, thus allowing players of different proficiency to play against each other on somewhat equal terms.
    Exact rules relating to handicaps can vary from country to country. And the handicap of a golfer is related to particular courses because it's calculated on a double basis, the course rating and the slope rating.
    When Kevin said he was a 15, he spoke about his "handicap index" that was rated 15.
    Would Kevin come on to a European course, his handicap index should be calculated again along different data.

Would you learn more about it, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_handicap
  • Many thanks to you for your quick answer.
    Thank you very much for the explanation. I think it`s a good way to ensure that there are equal partners on the course.

Its a pleasure for me to use gymlish because on the opposite to a normal teacher you get results at once , and whats important for me ,I get explained my mistakes. I think that is the favour of the system.

Please sign in to leave a comment.