Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

Tales & other stories

ESL is both means of communication and gate to another culture. Tales come under the latter. They take you to the roots of a nation's thought.

Might this column collect your tales of all kinds.

8 comments

• The horse and the pig.

Somewhere in green Ireland ....
    A farmer finds his horse seriously ill. He calls the vet.

The vet tells him the horse has been infected by a virus. He prescribes a remedy. If the remedy doesn’t work within three days, he says, the horse must be slaughtered to prevent other animals from being infected.

The pig, which has everything overheard, goes to the horse and tells it :
    "Make an effort, horse, get up !"
    But the horse is too much ill and can’t get up.

The day after, again, the pig tells the horse :
    "Make an effort, horse, get up !"
    But the horse is still seriously ill and can’t get up.

The third day, the pig says:
    "Make an effort, get up, otherwise they’re gonna kill you today."
    The remedy hasn’t worked yet but with a great effort, thanks to the pig’s advice, the horse manages to get up in front of the vet and the farmer.
    The farmer, bursting with joy, says :
    "Great ! my horse’s cured ! That’s worth celebrating. Let’s kill the pig!"

And the moral is: Mind your own business.

[CW]
  • Hi Gee !
    What are the extended words for ESL ?
  • Hi Zina mia!
    English as a Second Language.
    That abbreviation is commonly used and appears in most dictionaries.

As we know, English is not ruled by a kind of "Académie française" for French and a similar institution for Dutch.
    Have you got 17 minutes spare time?
    Open this link and watch the video
    http://www.usingenglish.com/weblog/archives/000391.html
    In his introduction (some 3 minutes or so) Steven Pinker has good fun about the Académie française.

Type down ESL in your search engine box and you'll be driven to plenty of ESL teaching sites.

Shift in topic: Do you know, Zina, that a lot of readers are still looking forward to your second mathematics lesson?
    Have a easy drive along the week, no WIP, no transport strike, no traffic jam. Just enjoying Russian, English and French.
  • Hi Zina, don't bother, you are not alone: I don't understand ESL and perhaps we could open a club with people like us ...sorry GEE you could not enter in our space !
    Now I have to go on "usingenglish.com/weblog/archives/000391.html" : thanks Gee!
    by, by !
  • just a secret for Zina and a big "thank you" to Gee : I went on "usingenglish" and I found ! Now I know what's ESL. Come on Zina, I will say it to you :"English as a Second Language"....so now I can go to bed : I am more intelligent ! Yeah...
  • I am not quite intelligent : I red too quickly the beginning of Gee's answer so I haven't seen the second line ....it's really time to go to sleep !!
  • From forestine79:
    Hi Zina, don't bother, you are not alone: I don't understand ESL and perhaps we could open a club with people like us ...sorry GEE you could not enter in our space !
    Now I have to go on "usingenglish.com/weblog/archives/000391.html" : thanks Gee!
    by, by !

Mrs Forestine, I can't help being disappointed when reading you're about to set a private club off. I can't imagine that from a benevolent occupational therapist, loving mother of smart daughters and nice GGuser!
    I want to tell you that our paradise is open to everyone, except racists. Before actually starting your private club, mull over this one:
    You know the Lady with the scythe? Her scythe, it knocks but once!
  • Angels move in mysterious ways!

Please sign in to leave a comment.