Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

Talking

We began to talk on the topic "Vocabulary--French to English" of the forum.
Below, this is my last message in response to Gee :

If tatiana and I were those women, we used russian and/or french because it's very difficult to speak russian fluently as English is (for me). tatiana speaks French fluently and I think I'll never speak russian like that neither English ! But I will try...

Thursday, I took the train TGV to go to Montpellier-La Grande Motte-Aigues-Mortes. Were you in the train Gee ? In the afternoon I visited the "salins du Midi". No sun, no rain but many wind. A spacious property (like Paris) with sand, water and salt. Sea, rose flamingos, sea gulls, some herons... As I was the only woman the salt-man gave me a salt rose (5 kilograms. I was very afraid when we climbed on the conveyor belt which carry salt at the top of the salt montain. At the top of the platform, we saw the high defensive walls of Aigues-Mortes. It was beautiful but the platform was shaked with the strong gusts of wind. I took many photos but I did'nt see the salt which shines under the sun. When we took the bus to go to the hotel, rain began to fall. Friday I was back in Paris with my salt rose. Gee or somebody else, did you see a woman with a salt rose of 5 kilos in the Lyon Railways Station Friday at 12 ?

58 comments - page 3

• At last !!! Thank Zina, it still sounds very complicated, but I think I've
    got an idea of what macrovariables are ... Your job is very technical &
    your english's good. I remember you saying that your English was so so.
    therefore you lied or you were too humble !!!
    Thanks to Amy as well for "the Bloody Yarn" wich is a very good idea, I'll
    participate as soon as I have somme time !
    Thanks god it's Friday !!!!!!!!!!! A funky friday by the way. Have a nice
    week end y'all !!!!
  • Hi Thierry !
    At home I can work with my dictionary but when we shall meet and talk together with the group (I hope so) it will be another situation.
    You know, I'm like many people in France. We learnt English at school during many years (for me 7 years). Then we forgot a lot even if we spoke English (or tried to) in countries we visited.
    Daily I only use English reading technical users guides or technical papers, English Traffic magazines I receive and some papers in Vocable magazine. I don't understand everything in them and finally I think that technical subjects are more easy to read.
    You didn't respond to my question : what's your job ? and how do you usually use English ? For work ? During travels ? With some friends of yours, perhaps they are strangers ? With your wife and children ? With your guinea pig ?
  • Hello you all,

I read your topic with great interest. Unfortunately I have a bit of difficulty to follow your travels (LOL).

I live near Quebec City in Quebec, Canada. My mother tongue is French and English is a second language.

We are mostly francophones in Quebec and French is compulsory by law, we don't have the choice to go to a French school. I would have prefered to go to English school but to be allowed your parents have to be English-speaking.

This is very castrating as it doesn't enable our youngsters to have a facility with English. As we all know English is the language for business. And Canada is (supposed to be) bilingual. We are regarded as the black sheep of Canada in my opinion.

I'll talk to you from time to time about my neck of the woods, if it pleases you.

Later,

Franette
  • Thanks for your message Franette !
    I shall be very happy to have some news from you in Canada.
    It’s unexpected for me that some Canadian people are Gymglish users.
    I should have thought that all the people in Canada were English-speaking (and some of them French-speaking too).
    Today I was in the meeting “Mondial de l’automobile” in Paris. It was very crowded and hard to satisfy all the people who come on our stand dedicated to road security. There were many young people (children and teenagers) because they don’t go to school on Wednesday.
  • In reply to Zina's request I work in the factoring business for a bank branche, it's not very
    technical but quite specific. Actually I work in la Defense too. I don't
    practice my English at work currenlty but I used to... That's why I
    registered with gymglish in order to maintain my level which is already not
    as good as it used to be. That's also why I wanted to organise live meeting to
    practice my speaking which I lack the most ! (Is that bit correct ?)...
  • Hi everybody !
    Today Tatiana was back in Paris after her travel around France. We met at Northway Station and came together at home to visit my town. A very nice town in 93. Here we say cubic-9. Do you know Noisy-le-Sec, Gee ?
    We got in the RER and just before getting out of it, we met a women with whom we talked a little. Soon as we walked in the streets and as I told Tatiana the story of the town, we met again the woman. I explained to that woman that Tatiana was Russian and that she wanted me to show her the place that the US and Canadian planes have bombed at the end of the second world war. They wanted to stop the departure of trains to Germany. At the very end of the war American and Canadian companies built again this part of the town they have destroyed. When you walk in these streets it seems to be in America or in Canada. This is very specific. The woman we met knew many things about the town. After the walk, we came home and drunk some tea. Then she had to leave and tomorrow she will take her plane to Moscou. Bye ! Bye ! Tatiana… I hope to see you soon in Moscou…
  • Being proud of having been personally called out by you, Zina, I owe you my answer. Here you are:

Do I know Noisy-le-sec?
    I confess that, even if I'm very fond of noislessly crunching dry nuts, I can't remember crunching it at Noisy-le-Sec. Some years ago I went several times to Chelles which I think is not far away. And the RER E line is not stranger to me. But the city is still quite a mystery for me.
    My knowledge of it sums up 3 points:
    A lot of musicians.
    The city slickers came out there ten of so years ago.
    A certain Zina living there. (this last point is breaking news!)

My further questions:
    1. You said calling your town "cubic-9". Are people of Noisy-le-Sec calling their town in English? So bad for French! But maybe you had a slip of the pen and you meant "cubic-mind" (pointing out that people there are "malins au cube"). Or is the town "un cube neuf" American fashion?
    2. How do inhabitants be called? When walking I presume they are called "Noxambules".
    3. I noticed that "meetup groups" were hold in Noisy-le-Sec with English as a second language topic. Why don't you suggest Thierry to fix the next Gymglish meet up in your nice city?

Anyway, thank you for your telling that.

From Zina:
    Hi everybody !
    Today Tatiana was back in Paris after her travel around France. We met at Northway Station and came together at home to visit my town. A very nice town in 93. Here we say cubic-9. Do you know Noisy-le-Sec, Gee ?
    We got in the RER and just before getting out of it, we met a women with whom we talked a little. Soon as we walked in the streets and as I told Tatiana the story of the town, we met again the woman. I explained to that woman that Tatiana was Russian and that she wanted me to show her the place that the US and Canadian planes have bombed at the end of the second world war. They wanted to stop the departure of trains to Germany. At the very end of the war American and Canadian companies built again this part of the town they have destroyed. When you walk in these streets it seems to be in America or in Canada. This is very specific. The woman we met knew many things about the town. After the walk, we came home and drunk some tea. Then she had to leave and tomorrow she will take her plane to Moscou. Bye ! Bye ! Tatiana… I hope to see you soon in Moscou…

• I do know noisy le sec Gee, I used to live in the "cubic 9" too, I spent most of my youth in Sevran which is on the RER line B on the way to the Roissy Airport !!! How do you know that meetup groups are hold in Noisy le sec from your mainland in Belgium ?!!!!!!
  • A little bird told me.

From Thierry TODESCO:
    I do know noisy le sec Gee, I used to live in the "cubic 9" too, I spent most of my youth in Sevran which is on the RER line B on the way to the Roissy Airport !!! How do you know that meetup groups are hold in Noisy le sec from your mainland in Belgium ?!!!!!!

• Hi everybody !

Once again I was out of town. First I went to Baden-Baden to visit the new museum Frieder Burda and see the Marc Chagall’s exhibition. This new museum enable to see the pictures in natural light. The museum was drawn by Richard Meier an American architect. In this place the Chagall’s painting exploded with colors !

After that, I came back in France to meet again my friends in Saône-et-Loire. Every year we meet together to gather mushrooms in our baskets and to look them under the microscope. We take pictures, we cook some of them, we eat many good meals and drink good wines. We spend many time in woods and this year I spend there more time than others because I got lost in a bog for one hour… Fortunately I recovered my way and I am back with you !
    For the moment I am in good health but some mushrooms are bad friends and it is possible to fall ill many days after eating them. Those are the worse.

Did you worry about me ? What have you done during the time I was out ?

Please sign in to leave a comment.