English Vocabulary

Learning Grammar easily ?

Overcome difficulties of grammar learning

Hello !

One of the greatest difficulties of grammar learning is correctly making a phrase without thinking about grammar rules.

Speaking is real. You do not have any time to think about what rule is right. In my opinion, there are many exceptions in English grammar rules. That is why it is too difficult for a beginner to implement all of these rules in his speaking.

How do you overcome this difficulty ?

Today, I will attempt to give some advice about this subject. My first piece of advice is do not search for perfection. You can become fluent and still make grammar mistakes. The search for perfection is bound to lead to failure.

One of the solutions is to seek out reactive words. What do I mean by "reactive words" ? A "reactive word" is a word which triggers a reaction to other words. To cite an example : when I say "listen" music, you must say "I listen to music". There is always the "to".

Another instance is regarding tense. There are a lot of words to give us a clue as to what tense to use.
For example : "since" ; if you say "I have been living in London since 1998", it doesn't work in French. In French, you say "I live in London since 1998". It is fundamentally illogical in French. That is why it is too difficult. However, in English it works. There are no rules and no exceptions, but it is so. When you say "since", you have to use this tense.

In conclusion, if you have trouble with articles or tenses, seek out reactive words. Use the same method.
That is what I do because I am bored with memorizing all grammar rules and exceptions of English.

2 comments

• This is a very good hint. But it only works if you are living in an english speaking area and are "forced" to speak english. Your speech-partners are always ready to help you by saying what is right or not, so you'll be with the time more and more fluent !
  • In my opinion, dear friend, you can practice what djomanilian says without being immerged. Just select some idiomatic expressions and repeat them as they are or in different similar contexts.
    I've been living here since 1998.
    How long have you been living in London? I've been living there since last year.
    Since I have been here, nothing happened.
    etc.. i.e. sentences using conj. since + present perfect (what corresponds to PRESENT IN FRENCH - Your nickname lets me guess you're French speaking.)

Mind that since can be followed by the past tense or present in other grammatical contexts. See your workbook, grammar chapter, when time in on according to your level.

Repeating in a row the same short sentence is a drill that Gee called squirrelcage drilling somewhere in this forum.
    G.A.
    (C.W.)

Please sign in to leave a comment.