English Vocabulary

Some difficults to understand English

I have somes difficults to understand English when I listen someone speak, but no much when I read. Someone can advise me? Whaut is a solution for this handicap?

10 comments

• Let me tell you, Susan, that English is one of the worst languages to pronounce, and the same writing gets uttering is different ways.
    As a general rule, listening/understanding is more difficult that reading/understanding, except to illiterate people.

So, as you are well literate and want to be fluent in English, you need time. Just don't worry, relax and listen carefully.
    The adventure goes on along with your working.

G.A.
    (C.W.)

P.S.- C.W. is not a signature. It means Corrections Welcome.
    If you had added C.W.to your message, I would have told you this:
    As for me you had better say it so:
    I have some difficulties in understanding English when I listen to someone speaking, but not so much when I read. Could someone advise me? What a solution is it for this handicap?
  • From The Guardian Angel:
    Let me tell you, Susan, that English is one of the worst languages to pronounce, and the same writing gets uttering is different ways.
    As a general rule, listening/understanding is more difficult that reading/understanding, except to illiterate people.

So, as you are well literate and want to be fluent in English, you need time. Just don't worry, relax and listen carefully.

G.A.
    (C.W.)

I have some difficulties in understanding English when I listen to someone speaking, but not so much when I read. Could someone advise me? What a solution is it for this handicap?

From The Guardian Angel:
    Let me tell you, Susan, that English is one of the worst languages to pronounce, and the same writing gets uttering is different ways.

G.A.
    (C.W.)

From The Guardian Angel:

G.A.
    (C.W.)

• Thanks for your presious conseils.
    So, i have some problems with my orthograph too.
    I'm entousiast to continue this change with you.
    Welcome to C.W.
  • Hi susan I understand perfectly I have a same problem ..... and I try many times study in my home and the school but I honest I know Im very slow with the english for me is very difficult..but I hope you can speak better and I try and I feel that rhis web is very good...

Well I listen muscic and wacth Tv in english and is the same that I did every day soem day we can speak Im sure.....

Good loock...

• From Susan:
    Thanks for your presious conseils.
    So, i have some problems with my orthograph too.
    I'm entousiast to continue this change with you.
    Welcome to C.W.

[CS] ... for Corrections suggested... or suggested corrections.

Rather write: precious advice.

Instead of "orthograph", write spelling.
    In writing, "spelling" is the way to write words.
    In speaking, the "spelling" consists of telling the letters of words the one after the other. (You spell the word, from French "épeler", I think.)

You are enthusiastic about exchanging with me.
    I am enthusiastic about exchanging with you, Susan. May I call you, Suss?
    (Not Suzy, because there is one yet at the Delavigne's.)
    It's good to be enthusiastic about something. (always "about", and if the object of your enthusiasm is an action, say it in the progressive form introduced by about: I'm enthusiastic about exchanging, about reading, about dancing...

Wish you lucky learning!
    G.A.
    [C.W.]
  • don't worry you you're still young and ambitious.as you grow up understanding wil grow up too.so just be patient and perseverant.good luck.
  • don't worry and be patient ! your brain is a marvelous muscle...! When you didn't understand something, listen one time, and a second if you need... my progress are very bad in grammar...but I'm happy to improve my general level... even it's not so easy to do my exercices at my office... I'm sure that you will be happier in few months.
    Good Luck !
  • I always trust spooks, especially as she is a nice girl.
  • Hi Susan.
    I have a good advice for you, because I had the same probem, I could read very well in English, but could not understand as I hear it. So I started to look for translations in a dictionary, and found the pronunciation(which is the most difficult part) of words, letters, diphtongs, etc.
    Bye.

Please sign in to leave a comment.