Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

? - the incentive

A daily incentive question mark would be a relaxing topic to be run after the hard work of the gymnastics of English.
Anyone is invited to answer and put down new quizzes either. Jokes-free.

8 comments

• Even if you are tracking new search engines that threaten Google’s reign, sure thing you know what Google is.
    But do you know that the name of Google comes from Googol which is a number.
    Which number is a googol?

/Fr. gogol / Ge. Googol / Sp. gúgol.
  • I didn't know so far. Now I know. But the number is so great that I couldn't write it down without being exhausted before reaching the end. Whose fault is it? The GG program! How could I write exponents here?

Zina is the unique one able to get us up to the mark here.
    Picking up the phone: "Hello, Zina?..."
    Waiting for an answer....
  • (Taken up on Wikipedia)
    Googol is the large number 10 exponent 100, that is, the digit 1 followed by one hundred zeros (in decimal representation). The term was coined in 1920 by nine-year-old Milton Sirotta (1911–1981), nephew of American mathematician Edward Kasner.[1] Kasner popularized the concept in his book 'Mathematics and the Imagination' (1940).
    Googol is of the same order of magnitude as the factorial of 70 (70! being approximately 1.198 googol, or 10 to the power 100.0784), and its only prime factors are 2 and 5 (100 of each). In binary it would take up 333 bits.
    Googol is of no particular significance in mathematics, but is useful when comparing with other incredibly large quantities such as the number of subatomic particles in the visible universe or the number of possible chess games. Kasner created it to illustrate the difference between an unimaginably large number and infinity, and in this role it is sometimes used in teaching mathematics.
    A googol can be written in conventional notation as follows:
    1 googol
    = 10 exponent 100
    = 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
  • Now lets switch over to the today’s question mark.
    Today TGIF! (1) Get your geek on! (2)

Why did Google choose its name derived from googol? (MCQ) (3)
    a- They liked the way it sounded.
    b- By referring to the huge number of pages lying on internet.
    c- It was a reference to making a huge amount of information universally accessible.
    d- Founder Sergey Brin’s dad coined the original term.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (1) TGIF is sms easy writing for Thank God it’s Friday.
    (2) geek : at first a carnival performer usually biting live chicken and snakes;/ eccentric person;/ peculiarly here, a fad of competurizing (do you?).
    (3) MCQ, multi choices question
  • Congratulations! You voted for (c). Correct. That proves there are life-real geeks down here.

About TGIF, a Canadian friend told me this: "And did U know that there is a chain of restaurants in US called TGIF? They're in almost every states. Food's pretty good, (to American standards, that is). You can find them at airports too."
    Why the hell doesn't she post that right away on the forum!
    Don't worry! Every Friday many TGIF are blossoming at the Delavigne's.

Now, Get your geek on again!

Why did the letter <o> turn into an <e> by skipping the <l> ? [i.e. Googol -> Google]

Looking forward to your smart answers.
    Hope you had a happy poppy day yesterday and that you won't have a malicious day this Monday!
  • As the founders of the search engine corporation were looking for a name, they listened to the recorded voice of the young Milton Sirotta saying "Oh! What a googol!". They didn't twig exactly the right spelling of the word because all of them had been getting deaf. One of them told the others "What do you think of Google?" All others nodded together.
    So, thanks to god, the deafness of old people prevented the googol name to be robbed by a newborn company.
    [CW]
  • Oops! What a mistake! A hard one that I can't get rid of!
    My last line refreshed, reworked:
    So, thanks to god (or, God for believers), the deafness of old people prevented the googol name from being robbed by a newborn company.
    May I once upon a day get prevented from making such uncongruity!
    [CW]
  • You are completely off the mark, Gee.
    When the young boy created the googol, he wrote every one of the hundred zeros.
    Then standing nearby the first figure 1, all onlookers got aware that they needed goggles to make out the very latest zeros on the line.
    Mating goggles with googol gave birth to Google, a child fated to a great power.

Please sign in to leave a comment.