English Vocabulary

How to spell a word

LEADING ARTICLE [Fr. éditorial / Ge. Leitartikel / Sp. editorial]
In verbal communication not native are most liable to have to spell a word. How do we spell a word? By uttering letters one by one. If the speaker doesn’t pronounce the letter quite correctly, or on long distance calls with static noise, a misunderstanding is easily distorting the message. To prevent such bugs, people tell letters by a full first name beginning with that letter. For instance, to orally spell the word 'Dirk' some could tell 'Derris Irma Rhys Kevin'. The listener can as well understand 'Ferris Ulma Chris Kevin', making 'Fuck'.
Even by using any name up to the speaker, a misunderstanding may happen.
Therefore GG users had better using the international phraseology adopted for International Radio Communications. Standard words have been chosen so as not to be misheard.

If you haven’t practised that standard spelling so far, I’ll display it in the present thread, 3 letters at a time. In a fortnight or so, you should be able to be fluent with the international spelling.
[CW] (this code is not listed in the International Radio Communication phraseology!)

25 comments - page 3

• To French edelweiss
    Additional information requested.

The ITU (En. International Telecommunication Union , Fr. Union internationale des télécommunications, Sp. Unión Internacional de Telecomunicaciones, Ru. Международный союз электросвязи, Ar.الاتحاد الدولي للاتصالات) [I'm sorry for having no translation into German] is an international organization established to standardize and regulate international radio and telecommunications. It was founded as the International Telegraph Union in Paris on May 17, 1865. Its main tasks include standardization, allocation of the radio spectrum, and organizing interconnection arrangements between different countries to allow international phone calls.
    It is one of the specialized agencies of the United Nations, and has its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, next to the main United Nations campus.

This information has been collected from Wikipedia's main page
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Telecommunication_Union
    Starting from there you could find more on Wiki about the international alphabet.

See you later, alligator.
  • I'll have a look onto ITU tower in Geneva from my rocky limestone mountain as we, Leontopodium Alpina (lion's paw) or Floarea Reginei - call me Edelweiss - live at 2000-2009 meters altitude from June to September. Currently, we are nothing but frozen roots burried underneath white snow but in summertime, we'll have a party! Let's put the chronometer on.

Thank you so much, Guardian Angel, to have made this research for information very quickly though you were up to your neck. I was surprised to learn that angels got neck to be up to, as I was used thinking of them like kind of no-limit spirit. But I've been told they were debating others but not least questions about having or being up there..

Flowery yours.
    [C.W.]
  • Oh! I meant two thousand to two thousand nine hundred meters!
  • how spelling acquanmtances i don't sure, someone can help me please.
  • From mariauseda:
    how spelling acquanmtances i don't sure, someone can help me please.

Very pleased to make your acquaintance, Ms Mariauseda.
    Did you make many acquaintances on this forum so far?
  • From French edelweiss:
    I'll have a look onto ITU tower in Geneva from my rocky limestone mountain as we, Leontopodium Alpina (lion's paw) or Floarea Reginei - call me Edelweiss - live at 2000-2009 meters altitude from June to September. Currently, we are nothing but frozen roots burried underneath white snow but in summertime, we'll have a party! Let's put the chronometer on.

Thank you so much, Guardian Angel, to have made this research for information very quickly though you were up to your neck. I was surprised to learn that angels got neck to be up to, as I was used thinking of them like kind of no-limit spirit. But I've been told they were debating others but not least questions about having or being up there..

Flowery yours.
    [C.W.]

In return I have to tell you, White Flower, how glad I am to get informed about intimate features of your being. Hiding your whiteness underneath white snow in winter proves you are very cunning in camouflaging. Standing out in a sunny summer party proves you are living in affluence and prosperity.
    And above all you are a wise being as you are wondering whether or not you have to be more or less than to have. Of course it's a question of every moment in our life. Now we are well aware of having a body, and then we are aware of being our body. For instance "I have" short legs but "I am" stocky. When saying I am short-legged, I may think that I have such legs, but I also may think than I am so. And when you tell us, Edelweiss, that you live between 2,000 and 2,900 m. altitude, your body is included in your self-consciousness.

As you see, I understood what you told in your sentence "But I've been told they were debating others but not least questions about having or being up there..", even if your C.W. suggestion leads me to tell that the word OTHERS seems strange to me. Telling you was the least I could do as we are meeting here to improve our English language (In this sentence of my own "the least" is taken as a pronoun, isn't it?)
    But I'm very pleased to come across a Flower who is so kind as to talk philosophy with me, to mull over to be or not to be, over to have or to be a have-not, over many other questions and not the least serious ones.

Thank you for your time, Edelweiss. Thank you for your spirit.
    Wish you the patience of Job (it's just the same of an angel's) to hibernate up to June's party.
    [CW]

Please sign in to leave a comment.