Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

Sufficient unto the day is one thought thereof.

"Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

That proverb rendered into a GymGlish user’s every day life philosophy turns so:
"Sufficient unto the day is my GymGlish workout thereof."

But some Stakhanovist GymGlish users could make "Insufficient unto the day is a GG lesson thereof" their motto and post under this thread their original thought of the day.

435 comments - page 3

• Bunny Rabbit is a crazy ecologist. To get greener in 2008 than he was is 2007, he decided to spare energy by spending not more than one lumen a day in his candlelight and prompting not more than one bit in his computer.
    On this January 9th, he bites into the second byte.
  • Needless to say that Bunny rabbit is about to be sacked at work because he types his documents on an old typewriter in order to serve as an example in the field of the environment. His boss, who is always dressed up to the NINES,(=very smartly)says he is fed up with his green employee's ethical clothes and mentality.Productivity is a key issue for the manager. He wants Bunny to work extra hours to make up for lost time but Mr Rabbit has a NINE-to five attitude (= refuses to work before nine or after five). AhQ who is a slogger(= a hard worker) often argues with his colleague who retorts: don't worry, I've got NINE lives! (=a guardian angel protects me)
    By the way, what is "our" Guardian angel doing over there?
  • Here we are served! Such a stream of so many idioms and new words in a row! That could fulfill the idling idiom section. Thank you Silky.
  • January 9, 2008 – 100 years ago, to the day, a feminist was born that we couldn’t fail to cite.
    She was the Beaver, as her schoolmate and later companion called her by changing her French name De Beauvoir sounding into its nearly homonymous English word.

«One is not born a woman, one becomes one.»

It’s a feminist slogan linked to her companion Sartre’s famous saying:

«Existence precedes essence.»

Another famous German-born phenomenologist, Hannah Arendt, said in the same vein:

«I am not the author of my life, I am but its actor, and patient.»

Could that quotations bring ideas to our friend AhQ, to Bunny and all sloggers striving for a better rating on the GG scale.
  • If I cotton right on your story, Silky, the Bunny Rabbit is not a Sarkosist.
  • Nothing but quotations today.

"Gee, I can’t stand you make believe I be lazybones lolling on a rung the nine-to-five shift long." (AhQ quoted) "AhQ who is a slogger often argues with his colleague (about their nine-to-five attitude)" (Silky quoted)

"Jan 10: a day for working 10 times more." (AhQ’s thought of the day)

"When I was a young man I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures. I didn't want to be a failure, so I did ten times more work." (Georges Bernard Shaw quoted. … shush! AhQ's master!)

"When I was rated 1.1 by GymGlish I observed that 9 out 10 lines I wrote were failure. I didn’t want to remain a failure, so I wrote 10 x 10 lines as to get 10 correct lines. A man of good will take only the good lines into account. So I rate myself 10 of 10. GymGlish is not of so good will as me, he just rates me 4.5 or so. But I don't give up hope." (AhQ quoted)
  • Jan. 11
    Two units showing up in a row make single odd number.
    Two GGusers talking down this lounge make a couple of thriving learners.
  • Jan 12. Think of the Twelve Steps Program for Addicted and the brand new Twelve Steps Program for Addiction.

The 12 Steps Program for Addicted.
    I was alcohol addicted, heroin addicted and a compulsive eater.
    I could recover from my addictions and compulsion thanks to the “Twelve steps Programs” that I underwent thanks to Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotic Anonymous and Overeaters Anonymous.

The brand new 12 Steps Program for Addiction.
    Believe me. Being addiction-free is quite boring. In that dreary state you need to get to know the twelve steps for addiction”, the mere question being which virtue you would get addicted to.
    I want to put forward the 12 steps for addiction I proceeded through.

1. Admit you are powerless over English flooding the world through.
    2. Come to believe that a Power greater than yourself could make you be an English-lover.
    3. Get to know that GymGlish is that Great Power.
    4. Make a decision to turn your will over to the care of GymGlish.
    5. Make a fearless inventory of all the words you cannot hear or tell in English.
    6. Be entirely ready to have GymGlish remove all these defects in vocabulary.
    7. Ask humbly GymGlish remove all your shortcomings.
    8. Subscribe to the 10 free-lessons test.
    9. Do your daily homework duly and promptly.
    10. Subscribe to a full-extended GymGlish program spanning 12 months or, better, 12 years.
    11. Never succumb to procrastination. Complete your lessons regularly.
    12. Help all other addicted-wannabes by meeting with them in the GG lounge.

Guaranteed not to fail.
  • Heaven, on the 13th day of the Earth-year 2008 AD at dawn.

Dearest AhQ,

Your brand-new Twelve Steps Program for Addiction raised in my heart a celestial twelve-tone tune. I hope everyone in the lounge sang along with the twelve angels choir hired by AhQ.
    It’s a long-standing matter of common sense that Twelve is the perfect practical number.

Now that we are done with the twelfth day of the year, we are facing the thirteenth! That’s another business!
    Were you dodeca-addicted and triskaideca-reluctant, just skip the 13th. Don’t worry about being sure that you get one year older on December 31st. You have just to catch up this 13 on February 29.

Thirteen times yours,
    G.A.

- Some bits of further information intended for possible thick-skulled earthlings:

The 12 steps Program for addiction is guaranteed not to rust and not to fail because of its twelve steps set.

Twelve-tone music is usually called dodecaphonic music over here.

Triskaideca means 13 in Greek. Triscadecaphobia is an endemic allergy spread over a large part of planet Earth.

A practical number is
    a) A positive integer n such that all smaller positive integers can be represented as sums of distinct divisors of n. So 12 is a practical number because all the n numbers from 1 to 11 can be expressed as sums of its divisors 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6; as well as these divisors themselves, we have 5=3+2, 7=6+1, 8=6+2, 9=6+3, 10=6+3+1, and 11=6+3+2. Ask Zina for more. (We are till awaiting her second mathematical lesson!! Hei Zina! What’s up to you?)
    b) The perfection of the practical-number-quality of 12 overflows into a lot of fields. A perfect year is made of 12 months; the 12th hour of the day is the sunniest one; a perfect by God elected people tells 12 tribes; a good governance is hold by a staff of 12 ministers, secretary of State and alike; a perfect guru heads a staff of 12 apostles; the perfect Pound told 12 shillings (it’s no longer true since that currency has been overthrown by the buck); and so on we could list umpteen fields that could fulfil umpteen notebooks up until the end of times.

12 is perfection. If you add something to 12, it automatically loses its perfection by a straight swoop into the odd numbers collection. As 12 is a perfect Even, in a logic of two truth values, 13 is nothing but perfect imperfection.

Might you have a perfect day nonetheless.
    [C.W.]
  • About my previous note, I'd to stress my [C.eagerly W.] as to get accurate information about the 24 and 12 divisions of mass and money. We angels are working for free and living on love alone.

Please sign in to leave a comment.