Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

Sufficient unto the day is one thought thereof.

"Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

That proverb rendered into a GymGlish user’s every day life philosophy turns so:
"Sufficient unto the day is my GymGlish workout thereof."

But some Stakhanovist GymGlish users could make "Insufficient unto the day is a GG lesson thereof" their motto and post under this thread their original thought of the day.

435 comments - page 4

• I will skip THIRTEEN to avoid "perfect imperfection".
    However, I'd like to try and answer the Guardian Angel.
    "Accurate information about the 24 and 12 divisions of mass and money". Do you want to be reminded there were 20 shillings in one pound and 12 pence in one shilling or have I misunderstood your question?

A poor but happy earthling.
  • Dearest Silky, my hearty - and so, happy - goddess,

That's exactly what I expected to get to know.
    Thank you for putting things right.

Loves
    G.A.
  • Uncluttered email originated from the NESV.
    «Shi Si» (signing:) Chen Lee

That sounds Chinese. Who could put me in the picture?
  • I haven't got a clue. Maybe the Guardian Angel told Chen Lee (remember one of your jokes) about this successful thread and our Asian friend just wants to take part.So, he teaches us that SHI SI means fourteen in Chinese...
    Pure speculation!
  • Lucky you, Silky!
    You must be right. What a know-it-all wonder, that Silky!

In 2005 I was hired by BESIX, a big corporation building up in Doha, Qatar, the highest building of the world.
    Most of my co-workers were Chinese.
    I didn't stand for long the exhausting shifts, sweating night and day.
    I resigned after 6 months. When I left to come back to Europe, I remember my
    barrack buddies telling me SHI SI - SHI SI - SHI SI. As I didn't seem to have a clue, one of them wrote on the wall "14" and one other who mumbled some English bits told me "Luck... Lucky".
    Hence I presume that SHI SI means 14, as Silky guessed it, and as we say 22 in France to alert people from cops, they shout 14 for "Good bye" or "Good luck".

I never read or heard of NESV in Doha. I think Chen Lee is not of the Chinese hard working force there over.
  • I was enthralled to read both of you, Silky and Lucky bastard.
    I am going to investigate further on.
    Couldn't you catch up with Chen Lee, Gardian Angel, as Silky reminds us he a buddy of yours?
    Your story seems to be a bit odd, Lucky bastard. Which post had you been hired for in Doha?
  • Try to be famous for fifteen minutes one day, you’ll remember it fifteen years later. (paraphrasing Andy Warhol)
  • SIXTEEN…

"The age of the gods is always sixteen. Sixteen represents the number of perfection, of plenitude. In man it is after the sixteenth year that the first elements of decay begin to appear, and when the moon reaches the sixteenth digit it begins to decrease." [Alain Daniélou, "The Myths and Gods of India"]

If I believe the sentence in the middle of this quotation,I am in an advanced stage of decay...
    Perhaps, my relatives and friends would confirm it but in my heart of hearts I am still sweet sixteen!

It comforts me to read that Ken Loach, who is over 70, can still direct films like “It’s a free world”. If you live in a country where it is on, don’t miss it. What’s the connection with 16?
    Well, Sixteen Films is the film production company formed by Ken Loach and his producer after his former company dissolved in 2002.

So, if you are sweet sixteen, enjoy every minute of it and if you are older, cheer up, go and see Ken Loach's latest film, in English if possible.
  • I'm really taken aback hearing that the gods are sixteen. I agree with a lot of them who are wooing 24/7. But I remember coming across big hefty grey-beared Colossus that sure were over 16.

Very happy to hear Silky is sweet sixteen. That she were sweet and silky, we could yet note it. But sixteen! With such great talent for writing, yet!

I promise you to go and see the Ken Loach's "It's a free world". Is it about their land of free and glory overseas there?
    Thank you for your note, Silky.
  • From Gee:
    (...)
    Your story seems to be a bit odd, Lucky bastard. Which post had you been hired for in Doha?

That’s it! Gee, you hint I’m frigging about! You let me down, my man.
    My position at BESIX in Doha : Slabs crew foreman.

There is nothing to be ashamed of. I'm not an architect like our newcomer Sara Sara from Algeria, I'm not even an intellectual but I'm well-skilled, and I live my life, as a globbe-trotter somehow.
    (CW)

Please sign in to leave a comment.