English Grammar

"to being" again

Hello dear GG, it's never too late to wish to all of you "tout de bon" as one says here, which includes everything you could think of by yourself and make the greeting as personnal than total!

I come back with the same old trouble about "to being"(cf.a previous topic). As I've understood the rule concerning "used to being", now I just met another example that sounds natural but, thinking of it, I wonder if I would have write it correctly if I had to (and must say probably not!).
Here it is:
'To make a (good) living' means to being financially successful with work...
Why, in this simple definition, not to write:
"It means to be financially..." as the synonimous terms are neutral, not in any context, just an explanation?
The little "to" usually associated to an infinitive verb often confused me when it appears with "ing"!
I look forward to reading you ;-)
-CW-

5 comments

• Nice you're back, French edelweiss.

I'll say straight out that I won't settle your issue. I'm not able to do it.
    Be sure some grammarian (like Silky) will put it right.

In the mean time I'll reply to your CW:
    1. Horatio is originated from the Brazilian part of the Amazon and speaks Portuguese. He doesn't say 'tout de bon' but something like 'tode bon'.
    2. I would write it correctly if I had to./or/ I would have written it correctly if I had had to.
    3. synonymous
    4. Particle "to" ... often confuses me when it appears.../ or/ Particle "to" ... often confused me when it appeared/or/when appearing...

I look forward to learn the answer to your question about "to being".
    Tks for Ur smile.
  • Thank you, Gee, for your corrections. I hope a dawdler grammarian will come around here..

Like Horatio but in Alps version, I live in the French part of Switzerland. "Tout de bon" is a tipical local expression, and is not used, as far as I know, in France (I am French).
    Funny to remember that there is an important community of Swiss originally French speaking who has emigrated to Brazil at the end of 19th century, early 20th, to look for a better life as farmers. Were they wished "tode bon" and felt a little bit at home ??
    -CW-
  • French edelweiss,
    I'm taken aback by your vast culture.
    It's interesting to learn where idioms are originated from.
    I also think that etymology is often helpful to understand words.

I wish you were patient waiting for an answer to the issue you posted yesterday afternoon. Grammarians are used to dawdling because they have to mull hard over any grammatical issue before taking a stance.

Additional notice: I live in the French speaking part of Belgium and I think having sometimes heard "Tout de bon!" in the sense of "C'est tout bon!"
    [CW]
  • Hello beautiful flower,
    A bit slow to answer your question, according to Gee. Sorry about it! Don't forget that I am not a grammarian as you hint, Gee. I wrote before that I don't like grammar for grammar's sake. I was a bit puzzled when I read your sentence dear French edelweiss. Where did you find it? Not in GG, I hope; otherwise I will be told off by Willy when I say that in my opinion "To make a (good) living' means to being financially successful with work..." should be replaced by "...means being...
    At least, I have never come across: mean to +ing but I may be wrong.

1.Mean is followed by to + infinitive when it means(!) to intend
    EX. What do you mean to do at the weekend?

2.Mean is followed by Ving when it means to imply, to involve
    EX. Getting 5.5 means working regularly with patience and a touch of optimism.

I hope I am not off the track...

C.W.
  • Dear Silky and Gee,
    I will not complain about any delay as you were very kind to take time to answer; I was myself very busy and couldn't read you before tonight. Now that I am here, I must mull over my vocabulary and my sentences, which takes also a certain time!
    Silky, I don't want to play the treacherous one but... yes, I read it in GG correction.. (Anyway, I'll still and always like GG very much!).
    I mean to ask Willy if being the Guard means having the privilege of the last judgment!
    -C.W-

Please sign in to leave a comment.