English Idioms

Identical vs asymmetrical

The idiom heading in this forum looks like not being very busy. Let's go for a try with this theme. Could you throw in some idioms going through the border of French/English with an identical meaning or with taking a distorting of misleading turn?
Those last days the sky was clear over Paris. So I could from heaven easily watch Zina walking around on the La Défense esplanade. I could see her thinking to herself "What a beautiful day! I feel like being in the clouds." But her double inside was thinking in French: "Qu'il fait beau! Je me sens comme sur un nuage."

Translating "être sur un nuage" i.e to day-dream, to think unrealistically into English (and vice-versa) "to be in the clouds", it's child's play.

On the other hand, this very morning Bruno Delavigne and Susan Bliss wanted to be on cloud nine. They couldn't climb on the top (=above the top of clouds) because in San Francisco there were so many layers of clouds that they couldn't tell them out. Had they spoken French, they would simply have said: "Nous voilà au septième ciel." No sooner said than done!

"Etre au septième ciel" by crossing the channel or the Antlactic ocean turns in "to be on cloud nine." What is your liking? For a clear sky or for a heavy cloud?

By the way, how would you translate "No sooner said than done" ?
And "It's child's play." ?
And "By the way" ?

By the way, don't fail to correct the mistakes I must have done. The escape of the lovers must have stunned me.

See you soon in heaven?
Thy Guardian Angel

11 comments - page 2

• "Qu'il fait beau! Je me sens comme sur un nuage."
    Translating "être sur un nuage" i.e to day-dream, to think unrealistically into English (and vice-versa) "to be in the clouds", it's child's play.
    "Je me sens comme sur un nuage", ou "je suis sur un petit nuage", is different from "je suis dans les nuages"(day-dreaming). The former means "I'm floating, perfectly happy, high".
  • "Etre au septième ciel"

Hi all,

If someone is very happy, they can use the expression 'to be in seventh heaven'.

Best wishes

- Hilary

Please sign in to leave a comment.