English Vocabulary

Issue about Listenning

Hi! my name is Fausto...I'm working in a transnational enterprise and currently my boss is an american person. She likes to make a meeting by phone and ask me to participate on it. I have a big problem coz' i cant heard her. She speak too fast, seems like words are too closer between them and i can't understand the topic.
Please Could anyone give me some tips for this issue? ThanX
Best Regards!

12 comments

• Hi Faustom,

It is a little normal that you do not understand English spoken by American native speakers. Each language is spoken with different pronunciation from a country to another else. I am a French native speaker and yet it si little difficult to me to understand a French spoken by person in the south of France (Marseille, Corse, etc.). I do not know what country you caome from but I am from Côte d'Ivoire. Sometimes when we speak with our accent Abidjanais certain French person have trouble understanding what we say. In conclusion if you want to understand easily Englsih spoken by American native speaker you have to chat and regularly listen to them. By that yopu will get used their accent.

First try to listen to the English spoken considered the standard form like United Kingdom or Canadian because you are an English learner. Then you could listen and pronounce other accents (USA, NIGERIA, GHANA, ECOSSE, etc.).

Good luck
  • HI MY FRIEND?
    MY NAME IS LASSINA AND I FROM TOULOUSE FRANCE. I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IN MY WORK; USUALLY I HAVE SOMME PHONE CALL WITH CUSTOMER AND PARTENERS AND I IS NOT EASY FOR ME;

I PROPOSE YOU TO GO SOMETIME TO THE CINEMA AND CHOISE ENGLISH MOVIES.
    AND A SEGON TIME YOU CAN LISTEN RADIO OR TV IF YOU GOT ENGLISH CHANNEL.

GOOD LUCK AND SORY FOR THE MISTAKE.
  • Well, the hint is quite good but listening to the broadcasts of the BBC for example is a very hard and even... humiliating method. I think that looking at television is much easier than listening to the radio although radio should be more useful to solve Fausto's problem...
  • Hi everybody,

I'am Art'Ryell. I come from Martinique, i have been living in France for 5 years. I have just became english lesson with Gymglisgh to improve my english. I do improve my english because of my new job. I'm an assistant. I hope that speaking here in english would be an excellent way to improve it. My english is desesparated.
    By the way I'll follow your advices regarding listening to the radio and watching the TV.

For me It would be great if I could correspond with different persons here.

Thanks for your anwers.

Art'Ryell
  • Good morning Art'Ryell,

You have just begun English lessons.
    Your English is desperate.

On the telly you can watch BBC1 with subtitles appearing on the screen by selecting teletext on 888.
    On the radio, select news rather that chatting programs. BBC World Service could suit well.
    You can also listen to many audios on internet, like on anglaisfacile.com, ESLPodcast which is slowly speaking, and of course, listen several times in a row to the audios of your GymGlish as to become able to tell it yourself at a normal rate of speech.

Always write English starting with an E.
    Advice is uncountable, never add an s at its end. So, follow their advice, act on their advice, take on "a piece of advice" (to point out a specific piece of advice).

To correspond with different persons here, just look around throughout the many threads of this forum; there are lots of people who'd like to talk with you.

As an assitant, you should improve your English at a fast speed. Break a leg! (Fr. bonne chance!)
    So long,
    Gee
  • Hi to all,
    My name is sabrina, my problem is the same as the one mentionned by all the persons participating in this forum, but im graduated in this language and till now i have problems in listening, mostly when talking ton English or American people on the phone, they are used to speak too fast that i can only catch some words, ans to answer to them is very diffecult bcz i didn't hear well what thes said.
    So how can resolve this probleme, and how can be fluent and current in this language???
    Someone said in this forum that we have to listen to radio and tv english conversations, but if we don't understand what are they talking about?? what it is the solution here??
    Thnx for your answers in advance
    B.R
  • to sabrina:you are so desprate!don't be!
    i think that this sit can help you and support you more that you can imagine;first of all the lessens that we have here included some part of listening and believe me it is so helpful;i am from tunisia ;i don't know if you hear about this country before but we speak arabic and french at least and i can tell you that i have learn english from this sit
  • thnx marioma,*
    Of course i know these countries bcs we are neighbours since i'm algerian.and as u mentionned we speak arabic as well as french, but still there is some efforts to make so that my english will improve.
    Thnx for ur advice
  • I don't understand the exercise.It is not veery clear what you want us to do.Kindly be a little clearer as to what I need to do.

Please sign in to leave a comment.