Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

Hello, I need help to learn english

I have difficulties to communicate in english, I must improve my level (it is very important for my job) and I don't know what is the best methode. Could you help me.

15 comments - page 2

• I just failed to tell Yanne that it's about time that I took up learning some German. At least to avoid getting ashamed.
  • I´m sure it would be an easy play for you to learn German - it has a great deal in common with Dutch. I once started to learn Dutch - only for holiday purposes. The only thing I (many years later) remember is: ik will graag een ons oude goudse kaas, als U bleeft - or something like that. And: bedankt, tot siens. The problem during our holidays in the Netherlands was, they always answered in German.
    It was a bit different in France: people seem to appreciate one´s endeavors to speak their language and are very patient. Nevertheless I meanwhile try to concentrate on English - the global language...

Have a nice week
    Yanne

PS: The story about the potty business idea: seems as if Otunba Olusegun Rwusewe carved out a niche (just learned in my recent gymglish lesson).

(CW)
  • I´m sure it would be an easy play for you to learn German - it has a great deal in common with Dutch. I once started to learn Dutch - only for holiday purposes. The only thing I (many years later) remember is: ik will graag een ons oude goudse kaas, als U bleeft - or something like that. And: bedankt, tot siens. The problem during our holidays in the Netherlands was, they always answered in German.
    It was a bit different in France: people seem to appreciate one´s endeavors to speak their language and are very patient. Nevertheless I meanwhile try to concentrate on English - the global language...

Have a nice week
    Yanne

PS: The story about the potty business idea: seems as if Otunba Olusegun Rwusewe carved out a niche (just learned in my recent gymglish lesson).

(CW)
  • CS
    Ik will graag eens een oude Gouda/Howda kaas, als't je blieft. (als't u blieft is very respectful and rather outdated)
    I would like to take an old Gouda cheese, please.
    (eens is an idiomatic bit of speech, literally meaning "once".)

Tot ziens. Auf Wiedersehn. Au revoir. Hasta otra. See you later.

Let's expect a police raid, for Willy the Security Guard can't stand any language but his favorite American English!
  • TFC!

een ons, is that not equal to 100g? In English it is ounce, but I think that´s less than 100 g. Question to Security Guard: is this a common unit in America?
    Whatever - at least in Amsterdam I will now be able to perfectly say what I want when I am in a cheese shop -even in Dutch!

See ya later
    Yanne
  • Yeah, Yanne. You are perfectly right. As always, so far.

What has biased my reading of your Dutch tale is double.
    At first I didn't know how an ounce is told in Dutch, whereas I knew that ons/onze is the possessive adjective which does tally with our/unser/notre/nuestro.
    Secondly I wondered whether the term "ons" for ounce could still be used in Amsterdam when buying a piece of cheese. Are you still used to in Germany?
    One ounce is a polyvalent word but generally it's equal to a bit less that 25 gr., that's what I've just learned looking up on Answer.com.

I'm looking forward to the next time Willy is dropping by. In USA they keep stuck to their odd measures units. I remember some ten years ago a plane got in emergency because a mistaking of liters for gallons had been made at the refueling.
    Fortunately British discarded their Imperial gallons. You now tank petrol liters in UK. So much the better (to my mind).

All the best,
    Gee
    [CW]

Please sign in to leave a comment.