Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

A Story

Hi!

I have an idea how to practice our English in this forum. We can invite a story: Everyone is one character and write his character.
I'm new here...
Is still there anything like that here or would you make a story with me?

I have some ideas:

- a village with different families, a school,...
character: parents, children, teachers...

or

- science fiction: on a space ship
characters: captian, ...

or what ideas have you go?

I would be very happy if some people answer:-)

Bye,
Kathi

65 comments

• Hi Kathi!

What a smart move you had here! I'd like to take part definitely, whatever the situation be.

As for the character, I'd like to play my own one because I'm not a comedian and so far I never put on (=pretended) to be different of what I am in my honest truth. Don't worry, I am not a real bastard. I have been told that "the bastard, he doesn't exist" by the playwright Samuel Beckett (he told that in French as to be sure being understood.)

So here you are with some main features of my character:
    sex : man (at least I hope so)
    civil status : bachelor
    offspring : unknown
    job : foreman in the construction industry
    experience : some years as foreman in the Middle East
    languages spoken : French (more or less), English (rather less than more), some bits of passive Chinese. (Most workers on my shift in M-E were Chinese.)
    mood : always good
    special feature : always trusting my lucky star (that's why people called me lucky bastard)

It up to you, Kathi, to decide in which kind of place the story will happen. So far, I never went in space. Even if it has come to be really possible, I can't afford it.
    I'd just tell that I am not so keen of a school. But if others would like, I'll make do with it.
    What's your profession, Kathi? I guess you could be a teacher for I noticed that teachers' universe used to be schools.

I hope some others will join. I'm enthralled by your project, Kathi.
    Be lucky with it!
  • I am at the ready to play whatever character you want in whatever living or working enviroment you want.
    It's a good idea you had, Kathi.
    Looking forward to further instructions.
    AhQ
  • Hi Kathi,

Edit the rules, give the basic elements to start the play.
    You might tell us the answer to some W-questions:
    Where does it happen?
    When does it happen?
    Who is Who?

I think it would be interesting to let some up and coming charaters jump into the play at any time as the story is going on.

Go,
    Gee
  • I will give the basic elements in the next time. But before I must look in the dictionary to understand everthing what Lucky bastard has written (I'm not good in English) and I won't have a lot of time the next week because (I'm a pupil) I write an Latin exam next week and I have school in the afternoon :-(

I'm very happy that there are people who are interested in this idea!

Bye,
    Kathi
  • Good day Kathi,

Don't worry about the overexcited AhQ. I suppose he spoke so much about his own character because he was so happy to take part. He is a good pal, you know.

I'd be pleased to come and play too.

As soon as your Latin exam is over, come on and let's start.
    We'll use simple language as to let everyone take part.
    Bona fortuna, Catarina.(*)
    Sandy

(*) that might be the worst of Latin. I studied Latin in former days but most of it is over.
  • Yes, what a good idea ! Let's plant the seed. The GGusers will make it growing and growing (I hope).
  • Mister AhQ,

I want to apologize for having mistaken you with Lucky bastard.
    You weren't overexcited at all indeed. Kathi was referring to the special and funny extra-long proposal of our lucky fellow but in my rush I mistook the author.

I am really sorry,
    Sandy
    [CW]
  • No harm done, Sandy. I had caught your mistaking.

Please stop calling me "Mister". I'm nothing but a good fellow, you know.
    AhQ
  • Hello!

Our story began on a holiday ship which made a world trip in 2008. The ship went to several interesting places in the world and let us go on land to see the sights in Egypt, Canada ... . We were there with friends or the family. But the ship went into a bad storm when the ship were in the Pacific Ocean. Because water came in the ship we had to go on the lifeboads. Not everyone survived, many people died or got injures.

Now:
    The storm is over. We are somewhere in the Pacific Ocean on the lifeboads. The captain of the ship is dead.
    We hope that somewhere is a island or another ship...

My character:

I'm a young woman (19 years old). I was on the ship with friends. But I don't know if they are alive or dead because I'm very bad injured and I sleep on the lifeboard.

And now it's your turn!
    I hope you can understand my English...

Bye,
    Kathi

Please sign in to leave a comment.