English Idioms

audio

suis je la seule à piger quick les textes audios ?
Quelqu'un peut il me donner une astuce pour mieux comprendre les paroles sur l'ordi ?

19 comments - page 2

• to Marie-Claire

Quest-ce que tu veux dire par "piger quick"? Il ne faut pas des astuces pour mieux comprendre, il te faut seulement essayer par quelle moyen, mentionné par les autres, tu as le plus succès.
    Moi par exemple je préfère à ecouter la scène par téléphone, si je n'arrive pas avec mon ordinateur.
    Et surtout répéter, répéter, répéter, jusque ça fasse tilt.
  • This is NOT the voice of Gee or whoever else who could be flabbergasted by such a top French cue. No, it is the voice over of a police conscience!

Echoing in the skulls: ~~~~~ IT'S FORBIDDEN ~~~~ VERBOTEN ~~~~ IN ENGLISH PLEASE ~~~~ [that might be the ghost of the conscience of Willy, the Security Guard] ~~~~ PIGER QUICK? ES IST VERBOTEN ~~~~ NEVER MARRY TWO DIFFERENT MUSICS ~~~~ BY ALL MEANS PAR QUEL MOYEN WILL YOU TWIG THE RULES ~~~~~ ??? ~~~~ YOU WILL BE TOLD OFF jusqu'à ce que çà fasse tilt ~~~~~ TILT ~~~TILT ~~ TILT !!!
  • Please, Gee, tell me the spot, where the charter with the rules can be found. Okay, the penny has dropped, I've twigged it: forbidden, forbidden, forbidden.
    Thanks once again for your generous (french: forbidden) correction, I was too piger (pigra) to avoid the trap (piège not pige), just like a pigeon half on earth half in the clouds.
  • It was a pleasure to read your top French. On this forum, rules are rather implicit even though some rules must have been edited somewhere sometime.
    The French "piger" is translated in English by to twig.
    The French "jusque" is always followed by a preposition or adverb, nothing else.
    Jusque demain (demain is adverb)
    Jusqu'à ce qu'il vienne: until he comes (preposition à)
    Jusqu'au bout : to the very end. (prep. au = à le)
    I wish you nice flights, sunny spells and many happy landings.
    [To talk live in French or English you may call me on Skype, my pseudo is paulcld.]
  • It's so nice of you to give me an adress for language emergencies. Are you on duty at the weekends or on call for Gymglish users at their wit's end? How did you get into that? I promise faithfully to only use it if utmost needs be, when I'm completely lost.
    Besides I'm too timid and shy to ever speak in a foreign language.
    When I met one of my last english teachers in the tram recently, Kimberly from Giorga, and the before last, a young Chinese from Canada, I didn't get a word out.

Best of luck!
  • To Gwendo:
    I am not available at regular hours. It depends on so many events.
    Do you know this site of Laura K. Lawless for French addicted learners?
    http://french.about.com
    It delivers tips on a regular basis provided that you hand over your e-mail address.
    Be happy.
  • Hi Gee, it was so kind of you to send me that address: But with French I've my own story: As a nine year old child they sent me from North Germany with many other German children to France (Atlantic coast), into an extended family with many children, nobody spoke German, and I had never heard a word in French. We communicated with the help of a bilingual "instruction leaflet". This was my first adventure with this foreign language. After one month I spoke it fluently but when I tried to write what I heard and spoke, nobody could decipher what I meant.
    Now I'm a bit older and my French family still exists to answer my language problems, if I only would ask them.
    And how did you get to your exellent French? Certainly it is your mother tongue? Or you live in the French part of Canada and you have the special chance to be from a cross-cultural family?
  • Nice journey you are walking along on earth, Gwendo. Thanks for telling.
    I guess you spend happy days by now in Freiburg.
    As for me, I am French native speaker. Those days I dwell in the vicinity of Liège (Lüttich, Belgium) after having spent the most part of my life in Brussels. I am so pleased to often read you in this forum. That's the spirit. Keep it up!
  • Several years ago I participated in a well organized group travel to Bruxelles and the Atomium and to Bruges, it was very impressionable, but because organized we had lots of time to spend in restaurants by taking big meals and no private time to explore the country of our own.
    Yes, I grew up in the North near Bremen and I like stormy rainy weather above all, so a mild sweet temperate climate makes me sick and I have to go to the North as often as possible, even in late autumn and winter. No chance for Mallorca, Lanzarote or Freiburg.
  • n'importe quoi

Please sign in to leave a comment.