English Vocabulary

Folks and to be a pain in the ass (US), arse (UK)

I find it strange that the word "Folks" is proposed to greet "Ladies and gentlemen" or to present your parents Maybe it's OK in Texas but I have never heard it in the UK or in Australia. Anyhow, I will not use this word.

As to the expression "to be a pain the ass (US), arse (UK) Bruno Delavigne uses in a letter to a shareholder, I couldn't believe the translation into French "être embêtant" C'est plutôt "mon cul", n'est-ce pas? If I were to use this expression in a business letter, my boss would fire me.

Best regards

Anke Varcin

8 comments

• The "Oxford Advanced Learners Dictonary" explains "to be a pain in the ass" with: "a person or thing that is very annoying" (informal!).
    That seems to correspond very well with: être embêtant"

Gwendo
  • I agree with Anke that it is not a sentence to write in a bussines letter, but Gwendo is right too, maybe its soft version "a pain in the neck" would suit all levels.
    For the translation we should decide if we want a word by word or a meaning one.
    Thinking about an annoying person in French I would say : c'est une peste, un embêtant.
    To lower the level we could say : c'est un type (truc) chiant, emmerdant.
    With friends I would use one of these in public I would probably choice : c'est une épine dans le pied

Antonio
    CW
  • Hallo to you, Anke and Antonio,

1) As a beginner with these Gymglish lessons I have many difficulties to write a little note, above all looking up two foreign languages at once and there is allways a lot of work to do, before I can write it down. Therefore my notes are as short as they are. I won't be unpolite.

Because both of you seem very familiar with French too, I want to ask you, if there exists a French course like this one applying similiar methods of instruction, with which I could improve my French level.

2) Concerning "Folks" in your article, Anke, I found in the above mentioned Oxford Dictionary:
    folks pl. (informal): a friendly way of adressing more than one person.
    folks pl (especially in North American English): The members of your family, especially your parents.

Obviously the linguistic feeling of different people, folks or nations differs.

CW Gwendo
  • Hi Gwendo,
    Unfortunately I can't help you. I don't know if there is a similar course to gg to learn French.

Antonio
    CW
  • Hi Gwendo,
    It's me again. I do not know if that could help you. It seems less serious (formal) than gg but at least it is possible to learn, improve, some French : http://www.francaisfacile.com/

Antonio
    cw
  • Thanks and have a nice day!
  • Hallo, I'm not interested in learning American English but prefer British English. So I don't like words like "Folks" or expressions like "pain in the ass". I will never use these expressions.

Walter
  • From Walter Vorwerk:
    Hallo, I'm not interested in learning American English but prefer British English. So I don't like words like "Folks" or expressions like "pain in the ass". I will never use these expressions.

Walter

Hello Walter,

I can assure you that the British say both 'folks' and 'pain in the arse'! They're both slang, but are certainly heard quite frequently in Britain!

SW

Please sign in to leave a comment.