Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

The best roman

What do you think is the best roman you have ever read?

For me: Harry Potter
Harry Potter is the first roman I can read more than once. First I read it in my mother tongue: German. Now I read it in English and after that I think I will read it in French as soon as I can French good enough.

And you?

31 comments - page 2

• Thank you hera,

sorry but my computer has no e accent aigu,
    Yes I like the wit of Moliere's performances, and I loved to read Stendhal's "Le rouge et le noir". Perhaps I'm a little bit old-fashioned.
    But I never heard of that "Symphonie Pastorale" written by Andre Gide, I only heard of Beethoven's symphonie number 6, or was it Berlioz?
  • Thanks Samson..& there's no problem with hera Or héra..My real name is Hiba....^^
    & i don't find,at all, that u're a little bit old-fashioned because i think that authors of that century(Moliere & Stendal's century) is the most artistic & panoramic dones that human's culure has seen & we can prove that by all what we're watching ,daily,of films,theatre...
    Of course,without neglecting Grec Arts & sciences...
    & what concerns 'la symphonie pastorale'(& it's not a bebethoven's symphonie neither Berlioz one ^^)
    it's a great story,it talks about a pastor of a mountain village who adopts a small blind girl, Gertrude. As Gertrude grows up into an attractive young woman, the pastor, now middle-aged, realises that he is in love with her. To his chagrin, his adopted son, Jacques, is also in love with Gertrude...
    i won't describe to you anymore..^^
    i'll advise you to read it..
    & i've noticed,too,that this story was translated into a film ...
    ciao & a+
  • Hi hera-hiba (what does the second name mean in your language?),

now you have made me very curious to know more about that girl or young woman with her strange name of Gertrude and her two lovers.
  • HI samson..
    well, hiba ,in arabic,means 'godsend',a 'gift'..but it's a gift that's coming from God...

i advise you to read the novel..it's a story where u find LOVE,Charity,life's belief,Art...
    good luck^^
    i'm wainting for your opinion..
  • Hello,
    do you often read books in english?
    Unfortunately my vocabulary isn't goog enough to read the books I prefer in my mothers tongue. So it's a good idea to read first in german. But in this case it has to be a really interesting book. I often watch movies first in my mothers tongue and after this in english. That's easier.

Bye,
    Twink
  • Uhhh, I have forgotten to tell you about my favourite book. In english there a two: "The curious incident of the dog in the night time" and "The virgin suicides". In german language "Zeit des Verschwindens". But I don't know if there's an english translation available.
  • The best book i ever read is the learning of serenity written by L.Pauwells
    from

From Kathi:
    What do you think is the best roman you have ever read?

For me: Harry Potter
    Harry Potter is the first roman I can read more than once. First I read it in my mother tongue: German. Now I read it in English and after that I think I will read it in French as soon as I can French good enough.

And you?

• The best book iever read is The learning of serenity by L.Pauwells .
    Greatfrog
  • I liked a much both novels of Hosseini: the Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. I red it in English and it was easy to read although the subjects of the books are more than hauting...
  • I don't want to go so for to talk about the best novel. At this point, I'd just like to give a recommendation for an
    English novel I've read as an English learner.

Recently (it was on Christmas 2008), I was reading a book by the U.S. writer "Tobias Wolff", titled "This boys's life", which is telling the autobiographic story of a young boy in the United States of the late 50's. I really enjoyed this book, firstly because I was able to indentify with the main character (a boy in this teenage years, who is going through a difficult phase of self-finding and I could recall some memories from my own childhood) and secondly because I've seen the movie of 1993 several times, in the movies back then and later on TV. Both main actors, Robert DeNiro and a very young Leonardo DiCaprio delivered a fanastic, riveting performance.
    I also downloaded two interviews with the author Tobias Wollf as MP3 files from the Internet and in one part he is talking about this autobiographic book and it confirmed my so-far impression that the book is very honest and candid.

The novel is very authentic and it avoids depicting childhood as a marvellous, wonderful phase in live, which it isn't in most cases and that's what makes this book such touching and authentic.

The language is not that complex, but also not too simple. I would recommend it for upper-immediate learners, but even advanced learner can learn something.

Please sign in to leave a comment.