English Grammar

verb

What's a trick to remember how you find the correct sense? present,confirm my

10 comments

• Hi Leei, I have the same problem. I don't know any trick how to find the correct sense. So please if anybody do don't hesitate to give us an explanation. Sorry about my mistakes, if I have many try to correct me.
    Thanks
  • From Rola:
    Hi Leei, I have the same problem. I don't know any trick how to find the correct sense. So please if anybody do don't hesitate to give us an explanation. Sorry about my mistakes, if I have many try to correct me.
    Thanks

• Hi you both, Leei and Rola,

what do you mean by "the correct sense of a verb"? Please explain it once more!
    The meaning of the English word in your language?

Or the correct tense of the verb? Simple present, past tense, present perfect: I go, I went, I have gone?
  • Hi Gwendo, my problem is when I use the verbs I do many mistakes. Like I go (now), I went (past), I have gone (past), if I use it for the futur can I say. I will go?
    I know that we need to practice and some day we will succes or succed or I'm wrong in this too :-).
    Thanks to your answer, If you see any error please correct me.
  • Hi Rola,

it seems you meant the correct tenses and not the senses.

I'll give my best to inform you, but there are many people here in the forum who do it quite better than me. I hope they will support us, if neccessary.

Yes, you got it!
    Present tense = simple present: I go , you go, he goes
    Past tense, simple past: I went, you went, he went...
    Present perfect: I have gone, you have gone, he has gone...
    Futur: Iwill go, you will go, he will go..
    This verb is difficult because irregular. You have to learn these verbs.
    If you take a regular verb, it's much easier: You love, you loved, you have loved, you will love.
    Why not buy a little English grammar and you will succeed, you will have success, you will be successful.
  • Thanks Gwendo, This monrning you teach me to conjugate the verb. I ask myself many times what is the difference between I went and I have gone the two of them are in the past.
    This is my fourth day in Gymenglish and I wish that it's help.
    What I need it's to practice and to know very well my verbs at least when I speack with a client, I would like to be confident.
  • What is the different between present tense and the present perfect?
  • Hi Rola,

all these grammar subjects will come up in your next lessons, and they will be repeated many times so that you will be able to always choose the good form, when you are speaking to your clients.
    Do you want to be confident (certain? or self-assured? or trustworthy?) Please consult, (look it up in) a dictionary and tell me more!
    present tense: The earth moves round the sun (simple present). I am reading a good book (present progressive).

present perfect: Rola has lost her keys (so that she cannot open her car now) This action took place in the past and it has some effects to the present.

past tense: last week Leei went to Canada.
  • I appreciate your help Gwendo. Thank you for your help and your encouragment to me.
    When I will speak to my clients I will be (certain) that I use the perfect tense.
    The problem is if I take my time to think about what I say, It will be better.
    I practice 1 hour a day in englishpage.com, It's not easy they have many hard exercices to do, but it's a big help.
    Thank you again, have a great day!

Please sign in to leave a comment.