English Vocabulary

I answer questions about Biology

Hello, I´m a Biologist. You can ask me all about Biology and I will try to answer you. The reason is, that I want to learn English. After I answered you, you can correct my english text, please.

27 comments

• Nice to hear we have a biologist at hand to meet our concerns about life. I'd have a question to put forward about hydrogenated fat but I need some more time to put it in words. I hope to do it in a near future. Thank you yet.
  • Three days have passed yet since I came after your proposal, gicoletta. The snag is that I am a procrastinator. As I have now to cope with a free Sunday, I am at the ready to get started with my concerns.

You must know my knowledge in biology is not slim to none, it is flat-out NONE. Since my questions might be off the mark, some could have had better be adressed to a nutritionist, they could even be nonsense. If you thought so or if you thought the matter doesn’t meet your area of competence, just ignore me.

A.
    1. What is hydrogenated fat? I presume it is fat molecules which have incorporated some H atoms. What is it exactly? How does the reaction work?
    2. Does hydrogenated fat exist by itself in nature? Or can a hydrogenated molecule appear by chance, by a freak of nature? Or is that stuff only the result of an artificial technical process.?

B.
    New-fangled brands of margarine are by now fulfilling the shelves in grocer’s shops and hypermarkets. It’s reading on the boxes “not for cooking, don’t heat.”
    1. What does happen as that margarine gets heated? Do the hydrogenated molecules split into water and fat? What’s the matter?
    2. What does happen to that molecules as they are digested? How do they release energy? In which state get they stored in body?

C.
    Incorporating hydrogenated fat in a lot of food products has become a trendy move in obesity and bad cholesterol prevention. I have been told that it could bring about some side effects – so to say, bad consequences in the long term, like prompting heart diseases, cancers, Alzheimer and the whole caboodle. Have you got a personal stand on that point?

Thank you so much, gicoletta, for reading and, if such is the case, for replying.
  • Hello Gicoletta,

nice to meet you. Please, if you don't mind, specify your profession: What kind of biologist are you, mikro-, cell-biologist, evolutionist, geneticist, botanist, mycologist or which other kind of specification do you hold, what are your favorite subjects....
    How is your everyday work and how are your daily studies?

I'm all agog to know more about this subject.

Samson

From gicoletta:
    Hello, I´m a Biologist. You can ask me all about Biology and I will try to answer you. The reason is, that I want to learn English. After I answered you, you can correct my english text, please.

• Hello, I´m a general biologist. I havn´t got a specification. In my studies I learned something about microbiology, zoology, botanic, psychology and any more. My hoppies are animals particulary snakes and other reptils. For the moment I´m looking for a job, because I have finished my studies.

I answer you later, Gee. I need some time to find the right words.

Thanks for your questions.

Gicoletta
  • Hello Gee,

let´s start with your first questions:

A1:

There are unsaturated fatty acids and saturated fatty acids. The first one has double bonds and the second one has single bonds amongst the hydrocarbon chain.

If H-atoms accumulate on the unsaturated fatty acid double bonds, they will be change all or part in saturated fatty acids (Hydrogenated fat, because it is a synthetic process). This process is called chemical hydrogenation. A Suitable catalyst will be used.

The chemical hydrogenation will be used to raise the melting point.

A2:

Saturated fatty acids you can find in all animal products (fish, milk, flesh) and in any vegetable products (coconut oil). The different between Hydrogenated fat and saturated fatty acids is, that the first is only a result of a chemical process in a lab.

I hope you understand me.
    Later, I want to answer the other questions.
  • I read your definitions and explanations with the greatest interest, Giacoletta, and I figure out that I understand.

The only point which still concerns me is the fact that chemical hydrogenation "will be used to raise the melting point". I wonder whether it is the main goal of hydrogenation to raise the melting point.

I am very grateful.
  • Sorry for having botched up your lovely name, Gicoletta.
  • No problem ;-)

In the most cases, hydrogenation will be used to change double bonds into single bonds. The results of this process (in our case) are the following:

Liquid unsaturated fatty acids will be change in solid, long-chain saturated fatty acids. For that reason the melting point is raising and you can take it for cooking. They are more tenable and you can spread it on your bread.
  • B1:

I think you mean the “minarine”. It’s a form of low-fat margarine. Because it contains about 50% water, you can’t heating it. Because of the chemical process the minarine will be squirt out of the pot. I think the water will be evaporate and a little rest of fat remains. If you want to roast something, you would need to much minarine.

Please sign in to leave a comment.