English Vocabulary

lonely or lonesome

Who of you, dear Gymglish users, could explain me the meaning of the two similiar words?

Samson

3 comments

• Lone, lonely, lonesome.
    Three synonyms in many cases. With an exception for one case.
    1. According to what I read in dictionaries, Samson, <lone> and <lonely> may mean "objectively having no company", "being without company", what <lonesome> doesn't. <Lonesome> always insists one the fact of being sad, having bad feelings resulting from the lack of companionship, a meaning that <lone> and <lonely> also meet.
    2. <lonely> and <lonesome> share as further meanings: having feelings from being solitary; causing a feeling of loneliness(e.g. the Delavigne offices were so empty that they seemed lonesome/lonely)

I wonder whether the adjectival suffix -some isn't a bit different from the adjectival suffix -ly.

Suffix -ly just means in a specified MANNER, specification made by the main root the suffix gets added to.
    [examples: abashedly, permanently, accurately, exactly, precisely, partly, monthly, lonely,...]

Suffix -some only means characterized by a specified QUALITY, STATE, CONDITION, ACTION.
    [ex.: awesome, bothersome, troublesome, worrisome, gruesome, lonesome...]

It seems to me that the -ly suffix commands more objective cases whereas the -some suffix commands more subjective ones. Am I right or wrong? I dunno.
    Does this meet your ideas, Samson. Tell me your views.
  • Thank You Mr. Gee! Your answer is more detailed than I expected.
    I asked for your opinion about this case because I was irritated by Gymglish's answer in my daily lesson: "a lonely person feels isolated or alone. They need companions or friends."
    I thought to be alone or lonely is just a statement of isolation, whereas to be lonesome means a feeling.
    Concerning your thoughts about the suffix-meaning it's to high for me at the moment.
    Thank you very much.

Samson
  • Hi, Samson, take my comments for what they are, just personal ideas of a learner.
    Don't forget that lonely may also mean feeling isolated and being sad therefore.
    Just lonesome doesn't fit to simply describe "being without company." (according to the Webster's)
    Keep it up!

Please sign in to leave a comment.